Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012
    • (edited Jun 1st 2012)

Finally I have a spare second to recover (my lecture now over).

The following thought crossed my mind:

it would be nice to have applications of the HoTT constructions isContr, isProp, and generally isnTrunc in homotopy theory (i.e. independent from the point of view of formal logic). Similarly for isnConn.

First of all, I assume it is true that

A:TypeisnTrunc(A):Type \sum_{A : Type} isnTrunc(A) : Type

is the classifier for nn-truncated objects/morphisms. (right?)

Similarly

A:TypeisnConn(A):Type \sum_{A : Type} isnConn(A) : Type

should be the classifier of nn-connected objects/morphisms.

This is something that people have considered independently of logic: if I am right here then

Gerbe A:Typeis0Conn(A):Type \infty Gerbe \coloneqq \sum_{A : Type} is0Conn(A) : Type

is the classifier for infinity-gerbes. :-)

And if that’s right then

AbnGerbe A:Type(isnTrunc(A)andisnConn(A)) Ab n Gerbe \coloneqq \sum_{A : Type} (isnTrunc(A) and isnConn(A))

is the classifier for abelian nn-gerbes.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012

Yes, that all seems right to me, except that I wonder whether you want to combine nn-connectedness with (n+1)(n+1)-truncatedness? (And is it still called “abelian” if n=0,1n=0,1?)

Has a definition of “isnConn” been written down in HoTT? It seems like it should require HITs (“the nn-truncation is contractible”).

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2012

Right, that one index was off by one. And n2n \geq 2 for the abelian case, sure.

Has a definition of “isnConn” been written down in HoTT?

Ah, so it hasn’t? I seemed to remember that you had written it down somewhere?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2012
    • (edited Jun 2nd 2012)

Probably when one thinks about it more, one finds many more useful examples. For instance I am playing with the thought of: a moduli \infty-stack classifying not just “Freed-Witten anomaly free fields” on a fixed spacetime with a fixed D-brane included, but classifying also all possible D-brane inclusions: in terms of monomorphsims, hence invoking isProp()isProp(-). Such a construction is certainly beginning to sound like something that may be genuinely useful outside of formal logic and somewhat non-trivial to write down (as a rectified moduli \infty-stack, hence as a simplicial presheaf) without invoking the HoTT compiler.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012

Might there be a way to have classifiers for absolutely compact sub-types?

By this I mean (1)(-1)-truncated QXQ \hookrightarrow X where QQ is not just XX-relatively compact (as every XX-dependent type) but also absolutely compact (in the termial context).

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012
    • (edited Jun 4th 2012)

Hm, actually that question shows that I am confused about something. I need to come back to this. But have to run now…

What I am thinking about is whether there is a nice way to say compactly supported cohomology in homotopy type theory.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2012

Absolutely compact sub-types aren’t stable under pullback, are they?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2012

And I guess we do have a definition of isnConn: if we take localization at S n+1S^{n+1} to define nn-truncatedness, then in the resulting stable factorization system, the left class is the class of nn-connected morphisms; so we can define a type to be nn-connected if A1A\to 1 is in that left class.