Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2012
    • (edited Jun 17th 2012)

So I do not understand that fully Urs’s post. First of all there is some confusion about the notation, “Write then i:FAi:F\to A for the function that includes the fiber of ff over pt Bpt_B.” First of all ff is not defined yet, here but introduced as an arbitrary ff in the next sentence, I guess it is meant cc, though I do not quite get the phrase “function which includes the fiber”. So I assume it is about cc. Now ff is arbitrary, while a bit later it says “by construction of ff”, what I do not understand again, as ff is taken to be arbitrary. Still, I think I can make sense up to that point. Now, what is the meaning of cfpt Bc\circ f \simeq pt_B (these functions have different domains!) and what is the meaning of “equivalent” in function context. I understand that it is necessary, though not sufficient, condition that the map factors through pt Bpt_B (correction, I am getting this now: the pullback condition makes it sufficient here as well!). Obstruction theory often extracts in fact the sufficient conditions as well, by induction on cells, which is an algorithmic and subtler procedure. But I would appreciate to see what survives really at what Urs calls “hi school level’ (though there is no hi school where students would understand this reasoning), it is appealing, but then I should not cheat with homotopy and see what equivalence etc. makes sense really with functions. Urs ?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2012
    • (edited Jun 18th 2012)

Is it important that we branch this discussion off here? I would find it more convenient if we discussed this in one place, hence over at the nnCafe.

And, yes, that ff was a typo, as we also discussed already here at the Café. :-)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 18th 2012)

Of course the best thing would be to create stable trace of this discussion on the nnLab!

I have started making a quick note at obstruction. But I will have to stop doing this now and look into something else.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Jun 18th 2012)

Urs, no, I can not correct typoses in cafe. I am not at home and have very difficult connection and even type some posts from kindle, what is VERY hard. Cafe is so difficult to communicate from kindle and even the sending makes lost of problems (like spurious lack of links, error messages and so on). Cafe is anyway pretty disfunctional, a post which I do here in 5 minutes takes me about half an hour in cafe and sometimes gets lost. Cafe is good reading occasionally, but never good for interaction, unless one is ready to spend few evenings for few messages.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Jun 18th 2012)

And, yes, that f was a typo, as we also discussed already here at the Café. :-)

This proves my point about cafe vs forum: here you could correct it and over there you have typed huge block which stays uncorrected. (but what about illogical “by construction of ff”)

Surely, I like the new nLab entry.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2012

but what about illogical “by construction of f”

That’s another typo: “by construction of FF”! :-)