Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMarc
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012
    Recently I have experienced a strange problem with editing entries
    in the nlab. I will describe the steps:

(1) I click on 'edit' in the page and the edit page came up.

(2) I replace 'Anonymous Coward' with my name in the name field.

(3) I editing the entry.

(4) I click on 'submit'

Then a page comes up that informes me that 'Anonymous Coward' is
    currently editing the entry. There is a choice to either cancel or
    edit anyway; the latter option would of course go back to step (2) above.

In effect I cannot submit any edit. This is really annoying.

Of course I realize that other people seem to be able to submit edits,
    so I will happily assume that I missed something obvious. Any ideas?
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

The first part of the phenomenon I have frequently, mostly when I am editing intensively various entries: the software then tends to claim that “Anonymous Coward” has locked some entry. At the beginning I thought somebody was tracking my edits on RecentlyRevised and intervening as soon as he spots a typo or something. But over the months or years (what is it by now) it became clear that it’s just the software playing tricks on me.

On the other hand, ever since then I simply click “edit anyway” and all is fine (except for the few further seconds lost in building up the spurious lock-message).

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

The lock is only a soft-lock. If you click edit anyway then it will save the edit (that is, it will accomplish what you want and will not take you back to the editing screen) - at least, that’s what I think happens, I haven’t tested right now. The danger that it is warning you about is that if there are two editors working on the same page, then the last one always “wins”.

I don’t remember seeing this myself. I’ll have a go at Urs’ many-edits version to see if I can reproduce it.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks Andrew. But maybe you shouldn’t waste time with this as long as there are more pressing questions. I guess this will be hard to reproduce and it’s not such a big deal.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMarc
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2012
    > The lock is only a soft-lock. If you click edit anyway
    > then it will save the edit (that is, it will accomplish
    > what you want and will not take you back to the editing screen)
    > - at least, that's what I think happens, I haven't tested right now.

Of course I had tried 'edit anyway' before I even started this discussion
    and I have just tested it a few minutes ago on another page with an
    outdated link.

It is as I wrote: 'edit anyway' brings back the edit page, all changes
    are lost and the name field has 'Anonymous Coward' again.
    I think this is a serious bug.

Could it be that the change in the name field is not honoured properly?
  1. I experience exactly the same behaviour iff I have cookies disabled.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Re #5 and lost changes: some time back I learned (from Toby, at this Forum) of free software called Lazarus which enables lost data in a web form, such as in an edit box on an nLab page or a comment box at the Café, to be recovered. I find it invaluable. I don’t know if it’s available for use on any browser.

• CommentRowNumber8.

Okay, I misunderstood where the error message was coming from.

Yes, this is due to cookies. I just disabled cookies on my browser and got this exact problem. Thanks IngoBlechschmidt.

Instiki soft-locks the page when you start editing it. When you save it, it needs to verify that you are the same person as the one who locked it. It does this by using cookies (as it is hosted in the US, we don’t have to declare this!). So if you have cookies disabled then it doesn’t know that you are the same person as the one who locked it and it wants to verify that you are prepared to break the lock first. But then, I guess, the standard next step after breaking the lock is to edit the page - this is what would normally happen if you had encountered the "break lock" situation with cookies enabled.

So solution: enable cookies for the nlab. Sometimes you might end up at an alias for the nlab and if you only allow cookies for selected sites this might be confusing your browser.

The error message could be more helpful, I guess.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2012

Re Lazarus: this is a Firefox add-on. The Internet suggests that it’s also available in Safari and Chromium (or at least Chrome). The Opera extension ‘Textarea Backup Localstorage’ allegedly also does the job.

But I have actually disabled Lazarus, because it slows things down so much!

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 25th 2012)

With Firefox nothing else is needed to recover typed content in an nLab edit page: the back button will recover that.

The same is not true for other edit windows, such as those of the nForum. But I don’t use anything like Lazarus for those. I simply have developed the by now hard-wired habit of hitting

Ctrl-A Ctrl-C

before hitting submit,to copy what I am submitting to the cache. Anywhere on the internet. (That’s on my Windows machine. Use your apple-keys or whatever instead. My point is just that the problem is solved with just a keystroke.)

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

The back button trick doesn’t help if the computer crashes or if the power goes out! That’s where Lazarus has saved me much grief.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I see. If I compose long text and then I save its stages in a text editor. But, sure, if Lazarus helped you, all the better. :-)

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I see. If I compose long text and then I save its stages in a text editor. But, sure, if Lazarus helped you, all the better. :-)

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorMarc
    Thank you all, especially Ingo. It works now. It seems that I had enabled
    cookies for 'nforum.mathforge.org' and 'ncatlab.org' but for some reason
    not for 'nlab.mathforge.org'. So this was indeed the obvious thing I had
    overlooked.

P.S.: the loss of edits was no problem for me because I use that
    plugin "It's all text' that was mentioned on the nlab somewhere.
    • CommentRowNumber15.

Yes, nlab.mathforge.org is an alias for the nlab. Once or twice the “proper” name has had problems and that’s the backup. I think that there are some places that use that as the proper link so you might get there by following such a link. But it’s the same nlab!

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2012

Like Marc, I use the Firefox plug-in itsalltext. This is much faster than Lazarus (although of course one can use both), and it will also take care of crashes, since it saves a temporary file … assuming that you remember to hit Save periodically! (or use an editor that saves automatically).