Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2012
    • (edited Sep 7th 2012)

created a stub for decidability, mainly only so that the mainy pointers to it do point somewhere

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

Shouldn’t that be decidable type checking? We also have decidable equality, decidable object, decidable proposition, and decidable subset. The Wikipedia article that you linked is about something still else. But of course, all of these are related.

I would move the page, but an AnonymousCoward is editing it now.

Yesterday (I think), I changed a link that you (or somebody) made to decidability (before the page existed) to decidable judgment. That’s a very general notion, which includes decidable type-checking, decidable equality (one way or another) and decidable propositions. (The other two are a little extra-logical but very closely related to decidable equality and decidable propositions.)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Oh, okay. Please fix. I don’t really understand this, I just wanted the pointers to that term to go somewhere. And I thought the Wikipedia article was implicitly about the type-checking, just not stated in type theory language. Isn’t it? Sorry then, please fix.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

Now Ulrik is editing the page instead of AnonymousCoward. The stuff at Wikipedia can be expressed using type-checking, but so can everything else in mathematics, so that’s not saying much. It doesn’t seem to be that naturally to me.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2016

This has been touched on above, but just to bump it: it seems a little peculiar to me to have type checking redirect to decidability. May wish to return to this soon.

I cleaned up decidability a bit (esp. fixing gray links that were needlessly gray).

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2016

Yes. I suggest we move decidability to decidable type checking, and make a disambiguation page for decidability.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2022
    • (edited Jun 19th 2022)

the term type checking used to redirect here, while the relevant sub-section here was requesting the creation of an entry Type checking (with capital “T”). Since neither makes good sense, I am breaking the redirect and am copying the material from the subsection into a stand-alone entry type checking

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2023

Today there is this preprint

Section 3 lists some previous articles in this direction. Not sure how deep this is.

diff, v11, current