Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009
    • (edited Nov 20th 2009)

I've started work at the zen garden (doriath). Stage one is to add customisable tags to all the pieces that we can reasonably adjust in the CSS. At the moment, these are all in red to make it easy to see them and to see if I've done it right - I ran it through a script to add tags to everything and I know that it got confused once or twice so there's a bit of manual work to do. Once I'm happy with that, I'll put up a sample along the lines of what Toby was thinking: having the CSS declarations in separate pages that can be "swapped in" with a minimum effort. Then people can copy that and see what the Zen Garden looks like with their changes. I'll try to make the sample so that it's really easy to change things so that those without and CSS knowledge can still have a go.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks. That's great that you are looking into this.

• CommentRowNumber3.

No worries. I'm hoping that even you will be able to mess around with the CSS when I'm done!

I think I've fixed the obvious things that my script missed out. I haven't "tagged" the list elements yet, though.

When editing this page, if you do it in an editor please make sure that you disable line wrap. It can seriously mess up the tags if they get broken across lines.

(Once this stage is done, the only reason to edit this page should be to swap in one CSS for another, so hopefully the line wrap problem won't matter)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Nov 20th 2009)
    I am not educated in the wonders fo modern civilization, so may you be so kind translate to a person from the street (or even Siberia, Texas or Bolivia) in plain English: what is the meaning of the phrase 'zen garden' in web context ? What is this page supposed to do ?
    • CommentRowNumber5.

Hi Zoran,

The term "Zen Garden" is an oblique reference to a website called the "CSS Zen Garden". It's a website designed to show just what can be done with CSS. The HTML code on that page is fixed, but people can upload different CSS files and make it look radically different. It's quite amazing what can be done. Anyway, when Urs started wondering out loud if it was possible to improve the look of the n-lab, the obvious thing to do was to set up a place where people can play with different looks without disturbing the rest of the lab. So on the "doriath" web (which is really just a glorified sandbox), Toby copied over a fairly substantive page from the n-lab so that we could play around with the CSS to see if we can make it look nicer than it does.

Although messing around with the CSS can feel like not very serious, the look of a page can drastically change its readability, and thus the likelihood that people will read and use the n-lab. If it's not something that really bothers you, then just ignore it. When we find a look that we like, we'll ask for feedback before changing anything on the lab itself. Indeed, I suspect that we'll find several looks that we like.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    Thanks. I see around many computers which lack so many fonts that even the difference between the bold font and usual font of the sort used in nlab are not seen. When you test the looks for readability, the choices which are less dependent on the completeness of the browser and font support should be avoided. In the look of the pages, I am personally a bit irritated by the green picture in the left top corner (the snake like pic) for the printer reason: if I send the page from the browser to the printer, the image will expand and use up the whole first printed page. I can of course print from page 2, but that means I need to generate first pdf and then I have the choice to choose pages (at least my browser tells always that there is only one page). On another computer the green snake is not even seen on the screen, so I have no problem. In any case, the best thing would be to have at some point among the links at every page, the nlab's link like "print page" which could produce a pdf optimized for printing for reading (for example, I am not sure that underlying the links is that useful, while obstructing offline reading of printed text; web oriented printing which needs to pay attention to which things have link could always be done from the browser). But of course writing the code for a good "print clean page" option could be difficult, I understand.
    • CommentRowNumber7.

On the specific issue of printing, you should select the "Print" view from the bottom of the page before sending it to the printer. Then the icon is the correct size.

(I agree that it should work from the usual view as well, and that's on my TODO list to fix, but in the meantime the above should fix it.)

I also agree that when searching for a good "look" for the n-lab, we should be sure that it doesn't just look nice in one person's browser on one computer. Thanks for the reminder.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    Oh great, I did not know that the size is correct with currently existing print option. As usually I am not using the great things you already prepared. Thumbs up!
    • CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009

Not me, that was Jacques.

I've been using Instiki for a course and have seen several students print out the wrong version. It's quite easy to spot, even from the front of the lecture hall, that the first page of what they've printed is a huge splodge!

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

Tip: In most browsers on most operating systems, hit Alt-Shift-P while the focus is in the page to go to the printable page. (So you don't have to scroll down to find the link.)

• CommentRowNumber11.

I added some stuff about printing to HowTo.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2009

So … we're supposed to look at zen garden (doriath) and see if everything there that reasonably ought to have CSS applied is appropriately marked?

Then when we agree on that, people should feel free to design CSS for it?

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2009

Actually, it's always the way that the first method is the wrong one. I need to read a bit about CSS to see if I've done the zen garden all wrong. The problem is that I've tagged everything that one could reasonably imagine adding CSS to, but CSS is inheritable whereas I don't think that the maruku method of adding CSS to stuff is. I might still be able to rescue it, though.

Wait until I have a template before messing around. I'll try to fix it tomorrow.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009

The zen garden (doriath) is now suitable for messing around with. I've written instructions on that page. Hopefully, it'll be fairly easy to play with. I've put up three basic styles to use as templates. I should emphasise that I'm not suggesting any of them as reasonable!

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I see a command, right at the beginning, that sets the color of a sidebar. But this doesn't seem to produce the solid vertical colored bar on the left margin that I am looking for.

• CommentRowNumber16.

Ah, that's because the 'sidebarGarden' is what controls the bit that used to be the main table of contents. To put a sidebar as you want, you need to put in a border to the main text ('bodyGarden').

These tags affect blocks of text, either "big blocks" (like lists, theorems, proofs) or "little chunks" (like links, bold text, headers). So to put a sidebar in you have to think what block of text you want the sidebar next to and add it to that (the CSS to look at is "border", "margin", and "padding").

A few useful links:

In poking around, I've discovered that Instiki sanitises inline CSS which restricts a lot of what we could do this way. The list of allowed properties is:

azimuth background-color
      border-bottom-color border-collapse border-color border-left-color
      border-right-color border-top-color clear color cursor direction
      display elevation float font font-family font-size font-style
      font-variant font-weight height letter-spacing line-height overflow
      pause pause-after pause-before pitch pitch-range richness speak
      speak-header speak-numeral speak-punctuation speech-rate stress
      text-align text-decoration text-indent unicode-bidi vertical-align
      voice-family volume white-space width

There's also something called 'CSS keywords' which I haven't fully grokked yet. The allowed list of these is:

auto aqua black block blue bold both bottom
      brown center collapse dashed dotted fuchsia gray green !important
      italic left lime maroon medium none navy normal nowrap olive pointer
      purple red right solid silver teal top transparent underline white
      yellow

Some of these are related to accessibility so that cuts things down further. However, it's important to note that these restrictions are merely for per-page style changes. If we found a look that we really liked and wanted to install it globally, we would be able to use the full power of CSS to do so. So if, in reading about CSS, you find something that you think would be great but is not allowed by this list, we can install it in the main CSS. Indeed, I can do so in such a way that you could test it in the Zen Garden.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    This comment is invalid XHTML+MathML+SVG; displaying source. <div> <blockquote> So if, in reading about CSS, you find something that you think would be great but is not allowed by this list, we can install it in the main CSS. Indeed, I can do so in such a way that you could test it in the Zen Garden. </blockquote> <p>Okay, so is it possible, just for testing purposes, to steal the CSS from the <a href="http://eom.springer.de/">Encyclopedia of Mathematics</a> and put it into our Zen-garden?</p> </div>
    • CommentRowNumber18.

Cut-and-paste or drag-and-drop won't work, but I'll see how much of their "look" I can figure out. I've managed to get the blue line down the side (see my lastest edit)! I'll look at it tomorrow.

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Nov 23rd 2009)

Hah, neat!

I am gonna try this out on Simon...

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009
    This is still a bit restrictive. I have recently been playing around with the 'stylish' add-on for Firefox. It allows you to overwrite the CSS file of any website. I wrote the following theme for the nLab:

http://userstyles.org/styles/22800

In order to see it you have to download the 'stylish' add-on:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2108

(the CSS file is based on the one Bruce Bartlett wrote.)

-Daniel Schäppi
    • CommentRowNumber21.

That's certainly one way to show style suggestions, with Stylish styles. A little more work for people to test them out, however.

• CommentRowNumber22.

@Daniel: using the stylish add-on is certainly a good way for a single user to make the n-lab look how they want it to. We should probably have a directory of "themes" so that if someone has the stylish add-on then they see what other people have done and, maybe, choose one of those. However, the task for the zen garden is to make the default look of the n-lab something that is nice to look at and helps with reading the pages. It's already a hurdle that people are required to install some fonts, we don't want to add to that unnecessarily.

Although the method we're using for experimenting is limited, we can do more. It's just that, for security reasons, anything that Joe Public can do is passed through a strict sanitiser and that strips out a lot of what would be useful CSS stuff. However, those with access to the main stylesheet can do more so if there's something that you think would be particularly good but can't be done with these abilities, let me know and I'll figure out some way to do it via the main stylesheet.

In the meantime, I'll take a look at your theme.

• CommentRowNumber23.

@Daniel: I like your style! It looks as though you were trying to recreate it in the Zen Garden. If it really is restrictive to use the wiki software, I guess I could easily clone a page and make a separate location for people to upload stylesheets to try them out. Hmm.

• CommentRowNumber24.

Right, I've decided that I loathe this method of experimenting. It doesn't work properly, revisions don't update according to revisions of other pages so once there's a new version you can't easily work on an old CSS. Bleugh.

So I've done what I should have done from the start: set up the Zen Garden itself but with a page from the n-lab. I've used the same page and to get things started I've installed four stylesheets: none, the current n-lab one, Bruce's Stylish theme, and Daniel's Stylish theme. You can have a look at:

http://www.math.ntnu.no/~stacey/HowDidIDoThat/nLab/zen_garden.html

Unfortunately, you now have to email me if you want to show off your amazing design skills to the world. You don't have to do that merely to experiment, of course, since you can easily download the files and mess around with them yourself. Simply save the web page somewhere suitable and add your own CSS file (note that there are a couple of things done via javascript so life's not quite as simple as we might like, but it's a lot easier than the method via instiki).

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Very nice.

We should have a competition for the best CSS layout.

And maybe by the way we are getting closer to solving the bug with the print output of the nLab: on most systems (if not at all) printing an nLab page makes a huge page-full copy of our little green icon appear on the entire first page.

(I found that very entertaining the first time I saw it, but it is maybe not the intended behaviour).

The same output I see now is produced by your bare version.

• CommentRowNumber26.

(See Toby's remarks about printing earlier in this discussion)

• CommentRowNumber27.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Nov 24th 2009)

That describes the workaround. But was it clear to you what the cause of the problem is? All I meant to point out that whatever it is, it is probably the same as the that occuring with the "bare" CSS view.

• CommentRowNumber28.

It isn't, technically, a workaround. Technically, using the 'print' view is the Right Way to print pages from the n-lab. However, there's always the Right Way and the Way Things Are Done and that is to print what's on the screen rather than go looking for a special 'print' view.

But I agree that it should Just Work. So changing the logo size would be a good thing to do. Actually, I'm in favour of the n-lab having it's own logo - at the moment, the logo on the pages is the default instiki logo and the favicon is the n-cafe one! However, it's not a high priority at the moment.

• CommentRowNumber29.

While using the Print view is the Right Way for the user to print a page, the Right Way for the Lab (or any website) to prepare a way for printing is to use CSS that includes all of the changes that we want to make for a printed page and applies them only when the page is being printed. But that is tricky while we're still working on the normal CSS!

In the meantime, if we rearrange the headline and footline links, then it will at least be easier for people to see the current Right Way to print.