Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2012
    • (edited Sep 13th 2012)

Lately I keep getting “invalid XML” errors here with math-typesetting that used to work and that does work on the nLab. For instance the following comment doesn’t display, and I don’t understand why:

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    This comment is invalid XML; displaying source. <p>The <a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/connecting homomorphism">connecting homomorphism</a> is really</p> <dl> $$ \delta_n = H_n \left( \array{ cone(f)_\bullet &\to& X[1]_\bullet &#92; \downarrow^{\mathrlap{\simeq}} &#92; Z_\bullet } \right) \;\; <dd> \;\; H_n(Z_\bullet) \to H_{n-1}(X_\bullet) $$</dd> </dl>
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Does anyone see what’s wrong? I don’t see it. (My apologies if there is an evident syntax error there which I don’t see. Maybe I am being stupid, but I think I have copy-and-pasted this right away from an nlab source where it does display fine.)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

That is both weird and obscure and a definite bug. The problem is that the : on a line by itself is confusing the Markdown processor because

word
    : explanation

is the Markdown syntax for a definition list:

word
    explanation

So the processor is seeing the : and turning it into a definition list before the display maths is getting seen. Clearly, my ordering of when things should happen is wrong here and I’ll have to delve back in the code to fix it. In the meantime, don’t start a line with a colon!

The connecting homomorphism is really

δ n=H n(cone(f) X[1] Z ):H n(Z )H n1(X ) \delta_n = H_n \left( \array{ cone(f)_\bullet &\to& X[1]_\bullet \\ \downarrow^{\mathrlap{\simeq}} \\ Z_\bullet } \right) \;\; : \;\; H_n(Z_\bullet) \to H_{n-1}(X_\bullet)
    • CommentRowNumber5.

(Worth remembering that while I’ve tried to emulate the nLab Maruku+itex parser as closely as I can, I’m using a different language on the forum and thus a different Markdown processor so on occasion things will go wrong, or at least differently. I will try to correct these when I can, but not to the extent that I have to rewrite the nLab Maruku processor in PHP so there will always be some differences.)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks!!

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

There’s at least one thing that goes right on the Forum but not the Lab: links like [[infinity-groupoid|$\infty$-groupoid]]. (They both can do [$\infty$-groupoid](http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/infinity-groupoid), and neither can do [[$\infty$-groupoid]].)

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2012

If you ever feel like adding to the nForum’s Markdown capabilities, it would make me very happy if it would parse – and — into &ndash; and &mdash;. (-:

• CommentRowNumber9.

That and the smart quotes are the most obvious mismatch when people move discussion from the Lab to here.

• CommentRowNumber10.

Remind me, what are “smart quotes”?

• CommentRowNumber11.

Okay, I think I know. Let’s have a go with an – endash, an — emdash, something “quoted”, something “quoted” (although that probably won’t work as the backticks might be interpreted as code).

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2012

Nice; there are a few discrepancies with single quotation marks. On the Lab, we can escape these, which here only works with double quotation marks and dashes. Also, the single quotation marks don't make the correct shape on the left like the double ones do (and like they do on the Lab).

Another discrepancy is that the lab can't handle the TeX-style quotation marks, but in this case, I would say that the Forum is better and it's Instiki that should change. Similarly, the Forum shapes double quotation marks correctly on the left before special characters (example: “xx”), which the Lab gets wrong.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2012

H'm, ignore that first discrepancy; I must have just typed something wrong. The second discrepancy is also in the proper thread (noted by Mike), so you can ignore the entire first paragraph above.