Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthormartin1456
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009
    Hi,
    I have a very basic question. My firefox browser does not show me all unicode characters , but instead little boxes with e.g. "01D4AA" in it when reading e.g.
    "A Survey of Elliptic Cohomology - the derived moduli stack of derived elliptic curves".
    Apparently I need a font which can display these unicode characters.
    Which fonts do I need to have installed to read nLab pages properly? (Or is it that some of the font preferences in my firefox which I have to modify?)
    Thanks,
    Martin
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

The short instructions are to download and install the STIX fonts, instructions and download available from this page on the mozilla project.

The longer instructions are that you need to have enough fonts to cover most of the unicode pages. The STIX fonts are one way to do this, and it means that you get a consistent look, but there are alternatives. There's a little more information at the main instiki web site, in particular this page.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Should these instructions be made more explicit on the nLab? We talk about what browser to use on the main page, but STIX fonts are only mentioned briefly on the HowTo.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, we should put that into the HowTo page more explicitly.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthormartin1456
    I have the STIX fonts already installed. Nevertheless I have the above problem. Any other ideas?
    • CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

To my shame I have to admit that I never much looked into this font issue. Even though it concerns sites that "I am running" myself, with others, I found it a nuisance throughout. These days I feel I am being swamped by all such little things as installing a font here, creating an account there, copying something there, uploading this here, and so on.

I am running Firefox on Windows with nothing else installed. And it seems that all fonts display correctly. I am aware that this information likely won't help you, though.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

I don't understand how installing the STIX fonts is supposed to help when the CSS doesn't mention them and chooses other fonts instead. Although it does seem to work for some people.

Let's suppose that you're running Firefox (or SeaMonkey). Then one thing that you can do, which is a bit drastic but should be fine if this is the only site that you read MathML on (and is probably OK even otherwise) is to tell Firefox to use the STIX fonts for MathML in all cases (unless overridden). Then the CSS from Instiki might still make you use different fonts sometimes, but not if a character doesn't exist in that font.

Put about:config in your browser's address bar, find font.mathfont-family and make sure that it looks like the example here. (Or you can put DejaVu Serif in front of STIXNonUnicode if, as I do, you like that font family better.) Probably you should keep a record of what used to be there in case changing this breaks any other sites.

Actually, reading that page again, it looks like maybe you should only install the STIX fonts after fixing the configuration? (Although that really shouldn't matter.) So if you did change anything there and it still doesn't work, then try installing them again. Otherwise, I don't know.