Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2012

What would people think about running Google Analytics on the nLab? It’s be easy to set up: just add a few lines of javascript to the <head> template that’s used on every page.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

What information would you like? I’m not too keen on GA and I think we can generate a lot of the information that GA would provide straight from the server logs without any of the privacy and inaccuracy issues that go along with GA.

• CommentRowNumber3.

What are your complaints about GA?

Personally, I don’t even know raw numbers about how much the nLab is used. It would help me get a feel for what sort of a scale of system we’re working with, for when we discuss technical and hosting issues. It would be interesting to know the geographic distribution of readers, what percent of them ever make an edit, and what sort of paths people take through our links. Do people use the pull-down “tables of contexts”? (I’ve found that I never do, but I’m probably not typical… but it’s impossible to say without data.) Where do most people arrive here from? How many come from a google search, how many from MathOverflow? Are there blogs that we don’t know about where the nLab is being cited? Those are just a few things that occur to me off the top of my head.

• CommentRowNumber4.

Okay, in the last 24hrs (roughly) we have had:

• 16378 “hits” on the nLab of which:
      • 12837 have been requests for pages (show)
      • 884 have been edits (some might have been blocked by the spam filter)
      • 1167 have been attempts to create new pages (quite a lot of these are bots randomly clicking links and don’t lead to actual pages)
      • 5 have been for lists
      • 13 have been for “Recently Revised”
    • 1232 Unique IP addresses of which
      • 479 visited once
      • 193 visited twice
      • 107 visited thrice
      • slowly decreasing to 13 visited 18 times
      • 3 visited in the 1000-2000 range
    • In the last week (different log file), we have had:
      • 284 visits from MathOverflow
      • 3244 visits from google (might be some false positives - this is a quick grep of the logs)

Blogs might take a bit longer to look for as I’d need to extract all the referrers and scan through to see where they are. The “pull-downs” are almost impossible to track unless you know exactly what links are in the pull-downs and so know that if someone clicked on that link from this page then they used a pull-down. This is because the pull-down effect is pure CSS and so sends no signal to the site that it’s been used (so GA would be equally useless here, I’m afraid!). Geographic information isn’t hard but would take a slightly more sophisticated script than I can knock up in 5 minutes.

GA is mainly for marketing purposes. The little extra it gives on top of scanning through the logs is verging on invasion of privacy as it involves tracking a user’s path through the internet.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2012

That’s great! Can you set up a cron script so we can collect that data over time?

I’m a little puzzled by the 884 edits. Are those requests for the “edit” page or the “save” page? I would have guessed a lot fewer than 884 edits happen in 24 hours; surely even Urs can’t account for more than a couple of hundred. (-: Are most of them hits on “edit” (e.g. from spammers or bots) that never make it to “save”?

Is it possible to correlate the number of times each IP visited with their referrerers?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2012

Yes, “save” would have been a better choice than “edit” to look for.

The access log give us a fair amount of information on each request: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/logs.html#accesslog. Then Instiki’s log gives us a bit more about what Instiki does with each request. From those, one can build up a fair picture of what’s going on. What sort of thing are you after? It’s probably worth thinking a bit about how to present the data before writing the script.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2012

Basically I’m curious about how different people use the nLab. For instance, knowing how many people actually click on links might be useful as page authors, to know in terms of how much explanation should be given on each page versus referred to the relevant other page. I’d also like to know how many of our visitors just drop by once and how many are “regular readers” (which would involve connecting data over weeks or months). One reason this occurred to me is because there was some talk of having an nLab session at ScienceOnline 2013, and although that fell through for this year, if there were something like that in the future then it would be nice to have some statistics to help explain to an unfamiliar audience what the nLab is and how it works.