Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2012

Somebody asks by email:

double categories are cartesian closed and it seems pretty reasonable that n-fold categories are cartesian closed - would you know of a reference for this? It would be good if there was some result that said categories internal to a suitable category E were cartesian closed.

Does anyone easily have a pointer?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Does anyone easily have a pointer?

I don’t, but it doesn’t seem unreasonable to write out a proof for this type of thing. Without having written anything down, I’d guess that if EE is finitely complete and cartesian closed, then Cat(E)Cat(E) is also finitely complete and cartesian closed. Then nn-fold categories would be cartesian closed by induction.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited Nov 7th 2012)

Well, I may as well have a go at writing down a sketch of a proof of the assertion from my previous comment, that if EE is finitely complete and cartesian closed, then Cat(E)Cat(E) is also finitely complete and cartesian closed.

First, let EE be finitely complete. Then the category of directed graphs E E^{\bullet \stackrel{\to}{\to} \bullet} is also finitely complete, and since Cat(E)Cat(E) is monadic over E E^{\bullet \stackrel{\to}{\to} \bullet}, it follows that Cat(E)Cat(E) is also finitely complete.

Now let EE be finitely complete and cartesian closed. Then E CE^C is cartesian closed for any finite category CC (by adapting Mike’s proof, using only finite ends). This applies in particular to the case where CC is a suitable truncation of the simplex category, say where CC is opposite to the category of nonempty ordinals up to cardinality 3. Now Cat(E)Cat(E) is a full subcategory of E CE^C, and it should be simple to see directly that it is an exponential ideal of E CE^C; in particular, it’s cartesian closed. (When I say “easy to see directly”, I mean that we don’t need to consider colimits in Cat(E)Cat(E) or its being a reflective subcategory of E CE^C – just use the formula for exponentials in E CE^C to suggest the correct construction of exponentials in Cat(E)Cat(E).)

Does this seem reasonable?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Nov 7th 2012)

Thanks, Todd! I have alerted my correspondent of your messages, thanks.

Maybe some of this could be copied to the entry n-fold category.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

The closest thing I can think of to a reference for this is the remark following B2.3.15 in the Elephant. But surely someone, somewhere, must have written it down before…

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2012

Ehresmann’s original proof, which I alluded to on the page internal category, is really quite awful. It’s working with generalised sketches, and for some reason either this precludes using the simple machinery from Todd’s #3, or Ehresmann just wasn’t in that frame of mind.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Can you add a pointer, or a page number, or something, to identify the alluded-to proof in Ehresmann’s work‘?

• CommentRowNumber8.

Can do.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2012

I got around to writing out a proof at internal category. Please feel free to check for accuracy.

I see that someone already had written there

If the ambient category 𝒞\mathcal{C} is a cartesian closed category, then the category Cat(𝒞)Cat(\mathcal{C}) of categories internal to 𝒞\mathcal{C} is also cartesian closed.

I have added in a finite completeness assumption (which is a bit of a no-brainer; at a minimum, existence of pullbacks should be assumed).

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2012

Ok, edited to include the references alluded to in #6.