Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013

I am polishing the entry category algebra. In the course of this I noticed that there was old and long-forgotten discussion sitting there, which now first of all I hereby move from there to here:

[ begin old discussion ]

I use k[S]k[S] to stand for the free vector space on the set SS. This is compatible with the notation k[G]k[G] for group algebra of GG. Urs’ notation k[C]k[C] for the category algebra is also compatible, but in a different way.

Why is my notation better? First, because I don’t like the clunky notation span k(C)span_k(C) for the free vector space on the set SS. Second, because the equation k[BG]=k[G]k[B G] = k[G] is inconsistent unless Urs is finally willing to admit that BG=GB G = G.

So what would I call the category algebra of CC? I guess k[C 1]k[C_1] or k[Mor(C)]k[Mor(C)]. You might complain that this notation is clunky, and I’d see your point. However, it’s a fact that whenever the category algebra is important, its representation on k[C 0]=k[Ob(C)]k[C_0] = k[Ob(C)] also tends to be important — so I think the benefits of a notation that handles both structures outweigh the disadvantages of a slight clunkiness. – John

Urs says: It is good that you said this, because we need to talk about this: I am puzzled by your attitude towards BG\mathbf{B}G vs GG. It is not the least a remark in your lecture notes with Mike that it is important to distinguish between a kk-tuply monoidal structure and the corresponding kk-tuply degenerate category, even though there is a map identifying them. The issue appears here for instance when discussing the universal GG-bundle in its groupoid-incarnation. It is

GEGBG G \to \mathbf{E}G \to \mathbf{B}G

(where EG=G//G\mathbf{E}G = G//G is the action groupoid of GG acting on itself). On the left we crucially have GG as a monoidal 0-category, on the right as a once-degenerate 1-category. In your notation you cannot even write down the universal GG-bundle! ;-)

Or take the important difference between group representations and group 2-algebras, the former being functors BGVect\mathbf{B}G \to Vect, the latter functors GVectG \to Vect. This is important all over the place, as you know better than me.

Or take an abelian group AA and a codomain like 2Vect2Vect. Then there are 3 different things we can sensibly consider, namely 2-functors

A2Vect A \to 2Vect BA2Vect \mathbf{B}A \to 2Vect B 2A2Vect. \mathbf{B}^2A \to 2Vect \,.

All of this is different. All of this is needed. The first one is the group 3-algebra of AA. The second is pseudo-representations of the group AA. The third is representations of the 2-group BA\mathbf{B}A. We have notation to distinguish this, and we should use it.

Finally, writing BG\mathbf{B}G for the 1-object nn-groupoid version of an nn-monoid GG makes notation behave nicely with respect to nerves, because then realization bars |||\cdot| simply commute with the BBs in the game: |BG|=B|G||\mathbf{B}G| = B|G|. I think this makes for instance your theorem with Danny appear in a prettier way.

This behaviour under nerves shows also that, generally, writing BG\mathbf{B}G gives the right intuition for what an expression means. For instance, what’s the “geometric” reason that a group representation is an arrow ρ:BGVect\rho : \mathbf{B}G \to Vect? It’s because this is, literally, equivalently thought of as the corresponding classifying map of the vector bundle on BG\mathbf{B}G which is ρ\rho-associated to the universal GG-bundle:

the ρ\rho-associated vector bundle to the universal GG-bundle is, in its groupoid incarnations,

V V//G BG, \array{ V \\ \downarrow \\ V//G \\ \downarrow \\ \mathbf{B}G } \,,

where VV is the vector space that ρ\rho is representing on, and this is classified by the representation ρ:BGVect\rho : \mathbf{B}G \to Vect in that this is the pullback of the universal VectVect-bundle

V//G Vect * BG ρ Vect, \array{ V//G &\to& Vect_* \\ \downarrow && \downarrow \\ \mathbf{B}G &\stackrel{\rho}{\to}& Vect } \,,

In summary, I think it is important to make people understand that groups can be identified with one-object groupoids. But next it is important to make clear that not everything that can be identified is actually equal.

For instance concerning the crucial difference between the category in which GG lives and the 2-category in which BG\mathbf{B}G lives.

[ continued in next message ]

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 2nd 2013)

[ continuation from previous message ]

Toby says: John said:

I use k[S]k[S] to stand for the free vector space on the set SS. This is compatible with the notation k[G]k[G] for group algebra of GG. Urs’ notation k[C]k[C] for the category algebra is also compatible, but in a different way.

Wait, are you claiming that k[S]k[S] and k[C]k[C] are incompatible? I disagree! Just as a set may be seen as a discrete category, so a vector space (or module) may be seen as an algebra where all multiplication is zero. (This is well known in the theory of Lie n-algebroids, where a vector space is a twice monoidal Lie 2-algebroid, that is a commutative Lie algebra.) Then k[S]=k[DS]k[S] = k[D S] (where DSD S is the discrete category on SS), just as k[BG]=k[G]k[B G] = k[G].

Mike says: Urs, I’m definitely with you about GG and BGB G, for all the reasons that you give and more. (For instance, in classical homotopy theory, it is essential to distinguish between the two, for similar reasons.) I’m not sure exactly what remark you’re referring to in “n-categories and cohomology,” but it’s possible that it can be blamed on me rather than John. In particular, anything in section 5 is my fault.

Toby: John, I'm afraid that, despite the compatibility of k[S]k[S] and k[C]k[C], on the general issue (as at action), Urs and Mike have convinced me too.

John says: Okay, fine. I personally find it tiresome to use a notation that distinguishes between groups and one-object groupoids. To me, having ’light notation’, with a minimum of symbols, is incredibly important. Every extra symbol makes my work look more complicated, reduces how many people will read it, and distracts attention from the actual ideas. So, I don’t want to write BGB G unless I really need to. For example, I agree with Urs that if I’m simultaneously discussing functors

A2Vect A \to 2Vect BA2Vect \mathbf{B}A \to 2Vect

and

B 2A2Vect \mathbf{B}^2A \to 2Vect

then I need to carefully distinguish between these. (I actually use A[n]A[n] to mean the \infty-category or chain complex with the abelian group AA as nn-morphisms; this is pretty standard in homological algebra.) But if in some passage of text I’m only taking about a functor like

B 2A2Vect \mathbf{B}^2A \to 2Vect

I prefer to say “think of AA as a 2-category with only one object and one morphism”, and then write this functor as A2VectA \to 2Vect, to avoid polluting the page with tons of B 2B^2’s.

This probably isn’t worth arguing about. Some people prefer logically precise notation, while other people (like me) are always focused on maximizing readership. These are different goals. My ideal math paper would be mainly words with just a few equations per page, because that’s the most fun to read. But I don’t expect everyone else to agree.

While we’re nitpicking: do we really want the product fgf\cdot g of morphisms ff and gg in the category algebra to equal gfg \circ f? This seems designed to trip people up.

Mike: Here’s another argument I just thought of, although it’s still along the lines of “logically precise” so given what you just said, I guess it’s unlikely to convince you. What we are discussing is, in general, a functor from k-tuply monoidal n-categories to (k1)(k-1)-tuply monoidal (n+1)(n+1)-categories. The delooping hypothesis says that it’s an equivalence onto its image (at least as long as “0-tuply monoidal” means “pointed”), so from that point of view it’s natural to want to leave it nameless and think of its domain as a subcategory of its codomain.

However, there is also another functor from kk-tuply monoidal nn-categories to (k1)(k-1)-tuply monoidal (n+1)(n+1)-categories which adds identity (n+1)(n+1)-cells and forgets one level of monoidal structure. This one is not in general an equivalence onto its image. But in the particular case k=n=ωk=n=\omega, in which case the domain and codomain of these functors are both the category of stably monoidal ω\omega-categories, it is the second functor that is the identity functor, not the first one.

[ end old discussion ]

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have added to category algebra a remark about the refinement to convolution algebras of smooth functions on Lie groupoids.

In the course of this I have tried to polish the entry a little more. Made the convolution product formula more manifest in the Definition-section.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorjim_stasheff
    But k[V] suggest an algebra generated by V - not the vector space spanned??
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2013
    • (edited Feb 18th 2013)

I have added to groupoid algebra more references on groupoid convolution C *C^\ast-algebras: in References - For smooth geometry.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2013
    • (edited Apr 1st 2013)

I gave groupoid convolution algebra an Idea-section, mentioning also the relation to noncommutative geometry and to quantization.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2013

Urs, can you edit your comment #2 so that my text and my quotation of John are not combined? (Simply add a blank line before and after the line beginning with >.)

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2013

Done.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2013

Thanks!

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2016
    I added the following remark:

If the category has finitely many objects and finitely many morphisms, then the category algebra is also a coalgebra via the unique comultiplication where every morphism in $C_1\subset R[C_1]$ is group like; the structure of the coalgebra and that of an algebra are compatible in the sense that they form a weak Hopf algebra.