Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2013

Looking at the page regular representation, I find I’m not overly keen on how there’s no way to see where the end of a definition lies. How do people feel about adding a small bit of CSS to make definitions a little clearer. Theorems aren’t so bad as they are set in italics (though for a consistent look it might be worth doing the same to theorems etc).

I’m thinking of just indenting the text by a small amount. Frölicher space has this but also with a border around it. So it would look a bit like the definition there, only without the border.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I’d like that.

• CommentRowNumber3.

I’ve added a 1em left margin to all the relevant boxes. Let’s see how it looks.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Thanks, Andrew. Alternatively, I’d be happy with a little box (I think some people call it a “tombstone”) to indicate the end of a definition.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

The one-right-after-another definitions at regular representation now looks confusing to me. Without the indentation, it would look as though the middle paragraph “The right regular representation is defined analogously.” were not part of either definition. (Actually, I think it is better style not to put more than one paragraph in a Definition environment, but that’s a separate issue.) Now my eye sees the one big indented block of text starting with “Definition 1” and expects it to all be one definition, and is therefore confused when halfway through the indentation a different “Definition 2” begins.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2013

I like Andrew's solution to this problem, although it uncovers another problem that Mike has noticed, which is that sometimes a definition doesn't end when you thought that it should. One might pull those second paragraphs out of the Definition environment, on the grounds that they aren't complete definitions, or alternatively combine them with the first paragraphs.

But I also think that I might get used to reading them as they were written: as two two-paragraph definitions right next to each other.

• CommentRowNumber7.

I agree that the two definitions straight after each other doesn’t look great. In that particular case then it would be possible to adjust them slightly or put a “filler” sentence in between. However, I can imagine that there will be circumstances where you really do want two definitions right after each other, or theorems, or whatever. One option would be to go for a further marking, such as the tombstone or a border. Another would be to not indent the title.

Since making changes is easy, and these aren’t huge changes, I’ve put in place the non-indentation of the title to show how that looks. regular representation is probably still a good test example.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I think the unindented title looks ok.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2013

I like it slightly better with the previous indented title, but it's not a big deal. Don't change it back now.