Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009
    I added some references to convex space and began a new entry on homomorphism.

It would be great to see the article on convex spaces continue... it sort of trails off now. I've tried to enlist Tobias Fritz.
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    I also added an entry conical space. I would love to see the relation between various generalized versions of linear algebra neatly explained: conical spaces, affine spaces, convex spaces and vector spaces for a start! But we don't even have the definition of Durov's generalized rings! Someone could say what it means for a finitary monad to be commutative...
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Dec 8th 2009)

Thanks John. As far as commutativity, entry commutative algebraic theory might have escaped your attention. The entry needs more explanation though; it is in the equivalent language of theories rather than monads.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2012

I added extended conical spaces (to the previously existing article).

1. replaced “monoid” by “semiring” in the introductory example in convex space.

2. changed “commutative semiring” to “commutative nonunital ring”.

But my main problem is this: The definition of convex space requires the averaging variables (let’s call it like that) to be from a “(semi)ring PP”. But in this case the term 1p1-p is undefined. Requiring an additive inverse is not an option as it does not exist in the standard example P=[0,1]P = [0,1]. Rather the appropriate algebraic structure here is something with a multiplication and an inverse “1p1-p”. My guess would be a Heyting algebra (ab=aba b = a\wedge b and 1a=a01-a = a \Rightarrow 0).

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2017
    • (edited Mar 18th 2017)

My own inclination would be to ask for an operation c p,qc_{p,q} for any pair of elements p,qPp,q\in P such that p+q=1p+q=1. Then the symmetry axiom would be c p,q(x,y)=c q,p(y,x)c_{p,q}(x,y) = c_{q,p}(y,x) and the assocativity axiom would be c p,q(x,c r,s(y,z))=c p,q(c r,s(x,y),z)c_{p,q}(x,c_{r,s}(y,z)) = c_{p',q'}(c_{r',s'}(x,y),z) whenever (p,qr,qs)=(pr,ps,q)(p,q r,q s)= (p'r', p's',q').

Edit: I see the page already takes this approach in the “unbiased” case.

3. Thanks, I put this remedy in the definition.

4. I reworked the definition again because the interval was not subsumed by it (the interval is not closed under addition).

5. Is there a categorical way to define/identify which convex spaces are the cancellative ones?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2017

My proposal of defining c p,qc_{p,q} whenever p+q=1p+q=1, rather than c pc_p for all pp, would eliminate the need to consider QQ.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorkirksturtz
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2017
    I updated the page with three additional references and further details about the category. The last paragraph
    ``Of particular importance are convex spaces parametrized by the interval P=[0,1] or
    the Boolean algebra P={0,1}.'' I find very odd. The Boolean algebra 2={0,1}, and more generally, ``discrete convex spaces'' I believe you are thinking about can be viewed within the context of parameterization over the unit interval. I am basing my ideas on the work of
    J.Isbell,M. Klum, and S.Schanuel, Affine part of algebraic theories - which shows that Cvx is just the affine part of the
    theory of K-modules, as detailed in Mengs thesis (which is referenced).
    • CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2017

I changed the link to your Stutz paper to https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.03240. In the future please link to the abs page not the pdf one.

I also cleaned up the page a little, making inline references link to the list at the bottom.

[ I don’t know how to enclose such links in square brackets ]

6. I adapted the second paragraph to the new version of Sturtz’s paper (he updated the link but did not changed what he had written into the text).