Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthordomenico_fiorenza
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2013
    • (edited May 29th 2013)

Let HH be a subgroup of a finite group GG, and let Res H GRes_H^G and Ind H GInd_H^G the restriction and induction functors between the categories of linear representations of GG and HH, respectively. I’m familiar with Frobenius reciprocity stating that Ind H GInd_H^G is the right adjoint to Res H GRes_H^G; moreover, by choosing the traditional model for the induced representation

Ind H G(U)={f:GUsuchthatf(hg)=hf(g)foranyhH} Ind_H^G(U)=\{f:G\to U such\,\, that f(h g)=h\cdot f(g)\,\, for\,\, any\,\, h\in H\}

I also know how to write explicitly the natural isomorphism

Hom Rep(H)(Res H G(W),U)Hom Rep(G)(W,Ind H G(U)). Hom_{Rep(H)}(Res_H^G(W),U) \stackrel{\sim}{\to} Hom_{Rep(G)}(W,Ind_H^G(U)).

Now, I’ve just learnt that actually (Res H G,Ind H G)(Res_H^G,Ind_H^G) is an ambidextrous adjunction, i.e. that Ind H GInd_H^G is also the left adjoint to Res H GRes_H^G, but I’m not familiar with this fact: how is the isomorphism

Hom Rep(H)(U,Res H G(W))Hom Rep(G)(Ind H G(U),W) Hom_{Rep(H)}(U,Res_H^G(W)) \stackrel{\sim}{\to} Hom_{Rep(G)}(Ind_H^G(U),W)

explicitly defined?

(posting on MO, too. In case I will get an answer there I will report it here and vice versa)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthordomenico_fiorenza
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2013
    • (edited May 30th 2013)

I got a complete answer by Qiaochu Yuan on MO

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2013
    • (edited May 30th 2013)

Nice!

I have now added a pointer to this discussion here. Would be nice if this were worked into the enty induced representation. Maybe you feel like doing so?

1. ok.