Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013
    • (edited Jun 17th 2013)

last Friday, when the nForum was down, I had created very brief entries

and

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDylan Wilson
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2013
    I have some trouble with what you've written in "infinity-field."

First of all: I think the standard definition of a 'field' *in the category of spectra* only requires that one have a homotopy associative ring spectrum (very very weak). This sort of jives: the Morava K-theories should really be thought of as the 'unique' prime fields, but they admit many different A_infty structures, so if we required A_\infty in the definition, we would think we had lots more fields, which is a bit awkward.

Second: This definition might lead one to suspect that if I wanted to check if a map of R-modules is nilpotent (over an E_\infty ring spectrum, R), then it's enough to check this after tensoring with every 'infty-field' over R. This is true when R=S, and I'm pretty sure this is a wide open problem for every other E_\infty ring spectrum. Indeed, however we define 'infty-field' it should probably have this property...
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2013

re first: I have added “A A_\infty-algebra or in fact just an H-space”.

re second: not sure what you want me to do here. I didn’t invent the term “field” for this notion.

But feel free to edit the entry as you see further need!