Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013

There are a lot of different ways in which a category with two monoidal structures can be “distributive”. As existing entries we have:

Two others which we don’t have pages for (I don’t think), but which are important:

• A monoidal category with coproducts whose tensor product preserves coproducts in each variable. Does this even have a standard name? \otimes-distributive?
    • A “colax distributive category”, which is like a rig category only the distributivity maps are not assumed invertible. At CT13 we learned that these are another good context in which to talk about near-rings.

When I get a chance, I will probably merge bimonoidal category into rig category, do some inter-linking, and perhaps create pages for the last two. However, it would also be nice to have a list of all these kinds of category in one place and how they compare to each other. I’m inclined to put this on an “index” page of its own, analogous to say the page additive and abelian categories — thoughts?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jul 15th 2013)

Sounds good!

(I have edited the Examples-section at bipermutative category, adding two genuine examples. Of course more can and should eventually be said here.)

• CommentRowNumber3.

Ok, created distributivity for monoidal structures and merged bimonoidal category into rig category. Still a couple of gray links to fill in.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2013

Apparently I totally forgot about the discussion here. At least the two pages finally got merged.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jul 17th 2013)

Some little editing I did at rig category:

• removed the duplication of the references to Laplaza and Kelly, added anchors in the References-section and links to them instead;

• corrected the

+-- {: .un_thm}

to

+-- {: .un_theorem}

in order for the formatting to come out right

A question: is “Baez’s conjecture” not rather a desirable requirement on the definitions? It would be a conjecture if it stated an actual definition instead of saying what a definition should achieve.

Related to this, at 2-ring where the article

• Alexandru Chirvasitu, Theo Johnson-Freyd, The fundamental pro-groupoid of an affine 2-scheme (arXiv:1105.3104)

is reviewed, example 4 asserts this “conjecture” as example 2.3.4 in this article, for their definitions (which look rather reasonable).

• CommentRowNumber6.

I know nothing about “Baez’s conjecture” – it was apparently inserted by John himself in the first version of the page, three years ago. However, the 2-category of symmetric rig categories is essentially determined by the definition of symmetric rig category; it’s not something we get to choose in order to make a conjecture come out true.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jul 17th 2013)

Okay. I’d be inclined to replace it by a statement that says something like the following:

The analog role in 2-rigs to the role played by the natural numbers among ordinary rigs should be played by the standard categorification of the natural numbers: the category of finite sets, or at least its core. One is inclined to demand that a reasonable definition of 2-rigs should be such that Core(FinSet)Core(FinSet) is the initial object in that 2-category. For some definitions this has been show (and here goes a pointer to Johnson-Freyd.)

What do you think?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2013

Sure. (Do Chirvasitu and Johnson-Freyd actually show it, or merely assert it?)

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jul 18th 2013)

Okay, check out what I did: I moved it to Propoerties – Initial object. Feel invited to modify.

Do Chirvasitu and Johnson-Freyd actually show it, or merely assert it?

Yeah, they just assert it, I think. They seem to think it’s obvious. In the above I have now put it like this:

For the notion in def. 1 this was conjectured by John Baez, for the notion in def. 3 this is asserted in (Chirvasitu & Johnson-Freyd, example 2.3.4).

• CommentRowNumber10.

Wait, now something’s not right: core(FinSet)core(FinSet) is not cocomplete, so it can’t be a 2-rig in the sense of either of those definitions. Aren’t both the conjecture and the assertion about SetSet itself?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Sure, I wasn’t thinking. Fixed now.