Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2013

Changed the page local section to discuss a slightly more general concept than the local sections of a bundle, and over a more general pretopology.

• CommentRowNumber2.

I also edited the link on the page exponential map in the section on logarithms, which pointed to the non-existent partial section, to point to local section.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 14th 2013)

Changed the page local section to discuss a slightly more general concept than the local sections of a bundle, and over a more general pretopology.

This may not globally be followed, but in principle the notion behind bundle is already the most general: just any map. (Otherwise one should point to fiber bundle.) I have allowed myself to change your edit to read as such:

For EXE \to X a bundle, (often taken to be a fiber bundle or at least typically taken to be a regular epimorphic map)

Okay?

• CommentRowNumber4.

That’s fine. There’s probably an ε\varepsilon I could add, but will be tomorrow.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2013

Is there any reason why partial section shouldn't just redirect to local section?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2013
    • (edited Aug 17th 2013)

Who says “partial section” for “local section”?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Toby, perhaps? :-)

Anyway, it’s fine: a partial section is a kind of partial map. I had begun replacing “partial section” by “local section” in the article logarithm, for instance, but however one wants to handle it is fine by me.

• CommentRowNumber8.

Thanks for that, Todd. I didn’t notice that it was used so many times!

I added the small remark that maps which admit local sections in a finitely complete form a singleton pretopology. I need to dig up the remark in an MO answer that dealt with the relationship between the old coverage and the one of local section and include that

• CommentRowNumber9.

H'm, maybe I invented it.

Wikipedia suggests that ‘partial section’ is used in architecture and structural engineering in the context of blueprints. (And these really are examples of local sections; after all, we more or less took the word ‘section’ from this context.)

• CommentRowNumber10.

The mention of regular epimorphisms strikes me as odd. Even a fibre bundle need not be regular epic, because the fibre might be empty; and while that is just one exception (and one that has no global sections), it makes me think that regular epis are standing in for some other concept here. But I don't know what it should be.

• CommentRowNumber11.

Hmm, you’re right. I think the page was written with the thought that the local section would be over a covering map - originally it was just over an étale map, which of course doesn’t need to onto in any sense. I may have just aimed at a stronger notion because of the result I added.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Even a fibre bundle need not be regular epic, because the fibre might be empty;

In the definition of fiber bundles that I care about this case is explicitly excluded and fiber bundles are indeed required to be effective epis.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

@Urs #12: Whaa? Are you sure that’s the right definition of fiber bundle then? Of course a principal bundle can’t have an empty fiber since its fibers are equivalent to the structure group, but shouldn’t you be able to say that the structure group acts on the empty set and therefore produces an associated fiber bundle with empty fibers?

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

In any case, it does seem odd to mention regular epis at local section, since a bundle certainly doesn’t have to be an epi in order to have local sections.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2013

Indeed covering spaces of nonconnected spaces shouldn’t be assumed to have all fibres inhabited. And it makes perfect sense to ask for local sections of any étale map.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2013

Re “partial section”: it seems to me one should really have this concept around anyway, and it’s more general than “local section”. To me, “local section” implicitly means the domain is an open subset. Not so with “partial section”. For example, in obstruction theory, one tries to see how far one can construct a section of a bundle (say a principal bundle) p:EXp: E \to X over a CW-complex XX, where one might be given a section of the restriction of EE over the (k1)(k-1)-skeleton X k1X_{k-1} (hence a partial section of XX), and sees whether there is any obstruction to extending the partial section to X kX_k, the obstruction being measured by a class in H k(X k,X k1;π k(G))H^k(X_k, X_{k-1}; \pi_k(G)).

Of course, there are numerous other applications of the notion of partial section, and I can’t think of a better name for the notion.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Todd, used in this sense, though, the notion is really different from “local section”. If partial sections in this sense are to be discussed, I would suggest to give them a dedicated entry with that name.

• CommentRowNumber18.

Urs: of course it makes sense to give it a dedicated entry. I would also say that not only are the notions different, but that “local section” is a special case of “partial section” (and therefore it was never wrong to refer to a local section as a partial section, but that it is wrong to have “partial section” to redirect to “local section”).

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes!

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2013

Created a quick stub for partial section.

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2013

I agree with what Todd said, FWIW.

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2013

That makes sense.