Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorRyan Thorngren
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2013

So I’ve been wondering in what capacity one can think of a spin structure as a trivialization of the second Stiefel-Whitney class. Let me begin with an analogy. There is a principal 2\mathbb{Z}_2 bundle classified by w 1w_1 usually called the orientation double cover. An orientation is a trivialization of this bundle. Similarly, w 2w_2 defines a principal 2\mathbb{Z}_2 2-bundle. If I’m not too confused, a trivialization of this should look like a connection with curvature w 2w_2. What sort of principal bundle is this a connection on? Can I see its relation to spin structures? Is it the spin connection in some sense?

Thanks.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2013

Yes, this is essentially right. I have just expanded a bit more at spin structure – Definition with more comments on this.

Only notice that 2\mathbb{Z}_2 is a discrete group, so all connections on 2\mathbb{Z}_2-principal 2-bundles or their sections etc. are necessarily flat.

If you want connection data to detect spin-like structures then you need to pass to spin^c structure. Is that maybe what you are after?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013

Thanks, Urs. I’m not sure if what I actually want is a spin^c structure, since I don’t understand fermions that well yet. If I wanted to represent a spin^c structure, this would be the same as a line bundle whose Chern class is w 2w_2 when reduced mod 2?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013

Yes, that’s right.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2013
    • (edited Oct 18th 2013)

I’m still thinking about this and I realised that the right way to think about this sort of trivialization is the following. (Let me know if you agree). We can consider a string charged under w 2w_2 considered as a /2\mathbb{Z}/2 2-connection. A trivialization of w 2w_2 defines a particle that this string can end on. This particle is of course a fermion. This explains the stringiness of fermions, why the w 2w_2 string is (essentially) topological, and I think gives a good way to think about what a trivialization of an n-connection gives you.

Maybe spinning strings can be thought of as ends of 12p 1\frac{1}{2} p_1 tubes…

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2013
    • (edited Oct 18th 2013)

Right, there is a general theorem about how trivializations of an nn-bundle encode boundary conditions for nn-dimensional field theories. This is discussed at Local prequantum field theory (schreiber).

Generally, for GG some \infty-group and XBGX \longrightarrow \mathbf{B} G regarded as a background field for some nn-dimensional bulk field theory, then a boundary condition for this is a diagram of the form

Q * X BG \array{ && Q \\ & \swarrow && \searrow \\ \ast && \swArrow && X \\ & \searrow && \swarrow \\ && \mathbf{B}G }

for some choice of QQ, some choice of map QXQ \to X and some choice of homotopy filling this. So this is a trivialization of the pullback of the bulk cocycle to QQ and physically if XX is the target space for a pp-brane then QQ is the target space of its boundary (p1)(p-1)-brane.

Specifically if QXQ \to X is the identity, then it is just a trivialization of the bulk cocycle.

And indeed, by this argument one finds that the Green-Schwarz anomaly cancellation trivializing 12p 1\tfrac{1}{2}p_1 exhibits the heterotic string as the boundary field theory of the M2-brane ending on the Horava-Witten boundary of 11d spacetime.

This last statement appears in Joost Nuiten’s thesis in the very last section 5.3.1. The bulk of the thesis discusses the general mechanism.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2013

Hi Urs, and anyone else who’s been following the discussion. I’ve been thinking about what we mean by a trivialization of w 2w_2 or other characteristic classes. It seems to me that this only makes sense if there is a preferred cocycle representing these classes. Is this true? What conditions do we want to hold for our preferred representative?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2013

For two equivalent (cohomologous) cocycles, the spaces of their trivializations will be equivalent.

But it is true that in some situations you want to remember the cocycle and not just the class, this is notably so in the context of twisted cohomology, which is just about the “relative trivialization” of one cocycle relative to another one.