Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2013
    • (edited Nov 26th 2013)

as last week, I have created an entry that collects some of the recent edits scattered over the nLab supposedly in one coherent story, it’s

basics of étale cohomology

Should be expanded a bit more. But not tonight.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I made a slight adjustment in definition 3, since I don’t think the nilradical is necessarily nilpotent (it is if the ring is finitely presented).

In the material just after that definition, what does Sh(CRing)Sh(CRing) signify? Sheaves with respect to what topology?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Nov 26th 2013)

Okay, thanks.

That Sh(CRing)Sh(CRing) should just be PSh(CRing)PSh(CRing) at this point, I have changed it. There is a corefelctive embedding of reduced rings into all rings and the left/right Kan extensions of the embedding and the coreflection induces adjoints on the presheaves.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Nov 26th 2013)

edited a bit more at basics of etale cohomology, changed the overall structure a bit by moving the discussion of the Amitsur descent theorem up to before the discussion of etale sheaves.

Currently it seems that the proof there that 0NN AB0 \to N \to N \otimes_A B \to \cdots is exact for ABA \to B faithfully flat only works is NN is flat over AA. I should write out a more general proof, eventually…

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMarc Hoyois

I made a slight adjustment in definition 3, since I don’t think the nilradical is necessarily nilpotent (it is if the ring is finitely presented).

That’s a good point, and further, it’s not obvious that being inf\int_{inf}-modal is equivalent to being formally étale: I can only see that the latter implies the former for finitely presented morphisms. Is this equivalence proved in Tamme?

Currently it seems that the proof there that 0NN AB0 \to N \to N \otimes_A B \to \cdots is exact for ABA \to B faithfully flat only works is NN is flat over AA. I should write out a more general proof, eventually…

The proof of exactness of the Amitsur complex shows that it is split exact after faithfully flat base change. This implies that it remains exact after tensoring with any AA-module.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Nov 26th 2013)

Ah, right, this needs attention. Thanks. I suppose I should restrict CRingCRing to CRing finCRing^{fin} throughout in the discussion of inf\int_{inf}. That is in any case the right “geometry” to consider (e.g. DAG5, 2.5).

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Otherwise I should change it to the version where we consider the site of rings equipped with an explict choice of nilpotent extension. This is how Rosenberg-Kontsevich did it (here) and how Zoran likes to do it. I thought that’s overly heavy for the simple purpose of characterizing formally etale morphisms by modalities, but maybe I was making it not only as simple as possible, but even simpler.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMarc Hoyois

Ah, right, this needs attention. Thanks. I suppose I should restrict CRingCRing to CRing finCRing^{fin} throughout in the discussion of inf\int_{inf}. That is in any case the right “geometry” to consider (e.g. DAG5, 2.5).

Even then, inf\int_{inf}-modality only provides lifts for nilpotent extensions of reduced rings, not arbitrary rings…

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Right, as I just said, if that’s a problem, then I need to change it to the site of rings equipped with a given extension, as Rosenberg-Kontsevich originally did it.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added a note that one might better use the category of infinitesimal ring extensions. Don’t have more energy for tonight, will come back to this later.