Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009

After the third time typing "pretopology" into my nlab-goto box and ending up at pretopological space instead of where I wanted to be, namely Grothendieck pretopology, I changed the redirect. It seems likely to me that the latter notion will be of more interest to more of our clientele than the former. But if you disagree, speak up.

I also added a Wikipedia-style "see also" note to the top of Grothendieck pretopology. Should we do that sort of thing in general?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2009

Yes, I agree with your re-redirection.

I'm not sure about the hatnote, but we can try it and see if it annoys us.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2009

Here's a slightly more questionable re-redirection I'm tempted to make: I would like to make regular topology point to regular category rather than regular space. Thoughts?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2009

Yeah, that is more questionable. I would rather have people write regular coverage; the generic term pretopology is one thing, but I'm inclined to deprecate those terms for the most part. (Although a pretopology and a precoverage aren't quite the same thing, any specific Grothendieck topology, such as the regular one on a regular category, may be specified by a pretopology, a precoverage, a coverage, or whatever). Whereas the (albeit probably less commonly used on the Lab) term from general topology really has no alternative.

• CommentRowNumber5.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about a "regular topology" with reference to a regular topological space; I've always only heard the adjective applied to the space, not the topology. But I'm not all that familiar with point-set topology either.

Regarding "topology" versus "coverage," I know I was once very much in favor of the latter, and I still think it's better in an absolute sense, but I'm getting the feeling that there are so many algebraic geometers using "topology" that there's basically no chance of changing it in mathematics at large, and using different terminology than everyone else is only going to make it more difficult to make connections between category theorists and other mathematicians.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • (edited Dec 26th 2009)

I don't think I've ever heard […].

I'm sure that I have, certainly for items lower on the scale like T1. When I get back home, I'll be able to cite examples. In the meantime, check out this usage (start just after the bullet points); we definitely want topologists to say that, and it's the nicest phrasing for them.

Would the algebraic geometers not know what the ‘regular coverage’ is?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2009

Okay, fair enough; we may have to just accept the conflict. But I still think that regular Grothendieck topologies are more likely to be of interest to most nlabbers than regular topological spaces.

Would the algebraic geometers not know what the ‘regular coverage’ is?

Well, maybe, if they know what a "coverage" is, but I don't think most of them do. (They'd also of course have to know what a regular category is, but that's also true for "regular topology.") It's unclear to me how many of them have even heard of the Elephant, let alone read enough of it to know about its terminological quirks.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009

I have created induced topology and subspace with intention to develop them separately inspite of partial overlap. I think that the present content already shows the natural differences.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2009

I added a note on more general kinds of induced topology, inviting us to write about them at weak topology.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Great. I also read (I think George Whitehead used it) "coherent topology".

I dislike that there are holidays these days right now when I am in a hi mood to go to work, read (and do more on nlab). But if I do not use the opportunity when others are free I will miss the family, friends, foofd, going to the nature etc. in the days to follow...

• CommentRowNumber11.

Mike made a lnik to sink at induced topology, and I filled it. There is a terminological difficulty here that people may want to look at.

• CommentRowNumber12.

Yeah, I don't know what to do about it. "Cosink" seems like the best of a bad set of options at the moment.

• CommentRowNumber13.

Another possibility is to strictly say source object for source/domain. But redirecting source itself to sink would break a lot of links at the nLab, so I'm inclined to say cosink there at least.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2016

The page Grothendieck pretopology used to claim that if we drop the first and third conditions, we end up with a coverage. Actually what we obtain is a slightly stronger notion where the covering families are actually closed under pullbacks, which at the page coverage is called a “cartesian coverage”. I fixed the reference accordingly.