Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2014

The entries on ind-object and flat functor both say that a certain category is the free cocompletion under filtered limits. There is however no link given between the two ideas. Clearly the two notions are closely linked if coming from different areas and intiuitions, and the discussion in Borceux’s Handbook, I think, discusses flatness without referring to SGA4 and its discussion of ind-objects.

I have given links under the ’related concepts’ part of both entries, but am not sure of how to express the close links in an accurate and succint way. Can anyone help?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

Let 𝒞\mathcal{C} be a small category and let Ind(𝒞)\mathbf{Ind} (\mathcal{C}) be the free ind-completion (however constructed). Then there is a canonical functor R:Ind(𝒞)[𝒞 op,Set]R : \mathbf{Ind} (\mathcal{C}) \to [\mathcal{C}^{op}, \mathbf{Set}] extending the Yoneda embedding Y:𝒞[𝒞 op,Set]Y : \mathcal{C} \to [\mathcal{C}^{op}, \mathbf{Set}]. The theorem is that RR is fully faithful and its essential image is the full subcategory of flat functors 𝒞 opSet\mathcal{C}^{op} \to \mathbf{Set}. If we construct Ind(𝒞)\mathbf{Ind} (\mathcal{C}) as the category of ind-objects, then RR is a kind of “realisation” functor, taking a diagram X:𝒥𝒞X : \mathcal{J} \to \mathcal{C} to the filtered colimit colim 𝒥YX\operatorname{colim}_\mathcal{J} Y X.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I was about to edit the entry, but now Mike has locked it.

Notice that at accessible category the equivalence is stated.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I’ve added links between the appropriate sections.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I gave your new paragraph a numbered Remark-environment and added a sentence:

For more equivalent characterizations see at accessible category – Definition.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Hm, since I was just editing compactly generated (infinity,1)-category: at accessible category maybe we want to be more fine-tuned with the two possibly different cardinality bounds.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Hm, since I was just editing compactly generated (infinity,1)-category: at accessible category maybe we want to be more fine-tuned with the two possibly different cardinality bounds.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

That looks great. Thanks. Like Urs I noticed some need for that ’fine tuning’ but as I am using these entries to relearn this stuff, I was not that confident about the fix.