Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2014
    • (edited Mar 10th 2014)

In the category:people entry Vladimir Voevodsky I’d like to have a brief statement on the motivic work. I have now put in the following, but experts are please asked to fine tune this where necessary:

Владимир Воеводский (who publishes in English as Vladimir Voevodsky) (web site) is a famous mathematician.

he received a Fields medal in 2002 for a proof of the Milnor conjecture. The proof crucially uses A1-homotopy theory and motivic cohomology developed by Voevodsky for this purpose. In further development of this in 2009 Voevodsky announced a proof of the Bloch-Kato conjecture.

After this work in algebraic geometry, cohomology, homotopy theory Voevodsky turned to the foundations of mathematics and is now working on homotopy type theory which he is advertizing as a new “”univalent foundations” for modern mathematics.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

It is odd – so far we never considered “famous” a relevant information for nnLab nor fair to (some) other mathematicians. “Fields medalist” is a more neutral sufficient condition.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Sure, I have removed the “famous”. But I found just “is a Fields medalist” worse.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

The latest version reads well. Thanks.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks to Adeel.