Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2014
    • (edited Apr 1st 2014)

It seems to me that there is a canonical map

Pic(KU) 3GL 1(tmf) Pic(KU)_{\leq 3} \longrightarrow GL_1(tmf)

(from the Picard 3-group of the E E_\infty-ring KU to the infinity-group of units of tmf)

and that it has a chance of being an iso on π 3\pi_{\bullet \leq 3}. Does that sound plausible?

So the reasoning for the map itself is this: Freed et al. have highlighted the observation that Pic(KU) 3(Ωko) 3Pic(KU)_{\leq 3} \simeq (\Omega ko)_{\leq 3} (e.g theorem 15.2 here, see the discussion at super line 2-bundle where I am writing |2sLine||2\mathbf{sLine}| for Pic(KU) 3Pic(KU)_{\leq 3}). But that would mean also that Pic(KU) 3Pic(KU)_{\leq 3} is also the homotopy fiber of BStringBOB String \to B O. That in turn would yield the map Pic(KU) 3GL 1(tmf)Pic(KU)_{\leq 3} \to GL_1(tmf) by the argument in section 8 of Ando-Blumberg-Gepner 10. Their twist of tmftmf would be the (delooping of the) restriction B 2U(1)Pic(KU)GL 1(tmf)B^2 U(1) \to Pic(KU) \to GL_1(tmf).

(Thanks to Joost Nuiten for discussion of this point, but all remaining confusion is my fault.)

Even though I have been staring at Ando-Hopkins-Rezk 10 for a bit, I am still not good at deciding what the image of that map in GL 1(tmf)GL_1(tmf) would be. But from what I am being told from an oracle I gather it has a good chance of being an iso in degree 3\leq 3.

Does that sound plausible?

If something like this holds, it makes me wonder that the following then seems suggestive: by the discussion at super 2-line bundle we also have that |Br()|Pic(KU) 3|\mathbf{Br}(\mathbb{C})| \simeq Pic(KU)_{\leq 3}, where now on the left I mean the geometric realization of the “Brauer 2-stack” of the ring of complex numbers, regarded in the context of 2\mathbb{Z}_2-graded algebras.

So then we would have in this sense

Br()Pic(KU) 3?GL 1(tmf) 3. Br(\mathbb{C}) \simeq Pic(KU)_{\leq 3} \stackrel{\simeq ?}{\to} GL_1(tmf)_{\leq 3} \,.

This looks moderately neat. In some precise sense Pic()Pic(-) is the “non-connected delooping” of GL 1GL_1 and Br()Br(-) is in turn the “non-connected delooping” of PicPic (as made precise e.g. in Szymik 11).