Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2014

I have expanded just a little at KR-theory by giving it an actual Idea-paragraph and adding some more references.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2014

added a section Properties – As induced from the derived moduli stack of tori which currently reads as follows:

The relation between KUKU, KOKO and KRKR naturally arises in chromatic homotopy theory as follows.

Inside the moduli stack of formal group laws sits the moduli stack of one dimensional tori 𝔾 m\mathcal{M}_{\mathbb{G}_m} (#Lawson-Naumann 12, def. A.1, A.3). This is equivalent to the quotient stack of the point by the group of order 2

𝔾 mB 2 \mathcal{M}_{\mathbb{G}_m}\simeq \mathbf{B}\mathbb{Z}_2

(Lawson-Naumann 12, prop. A.4). Here the 2\mathbb{Z}_2-action is the inversion involution on abelian groups.

Using the Goerss-Hopkins-Miller theorem this stack carries an E-∞ ring-valued structure sheaf 𝒪 top\mathcal{O}^{top} (Lawson-Naumann 12, theorem A.5); and by the above equivalence this is a single E-∞ ring equipped with a 2\mathbb{Z}_2-∞-action. This is KU with its involution induced by complex conjugation, hence essentially is KRKR.

Accordingly, the global sections of 𝒪 top\mathcal{O}^{top} over 𝔾 m\mathcal{M}_{\mathbb{G}_m} are the 2\mathbb{Z}_2-homotopy fixed points of this action, hence is KOKO. This is further amplified in (Mathew 13, section 3) and (Mathew, section 2).

As suggested there and by the main (Lawson-Naumann 12, theorem 1.2) this realizes (at least localized at p=2p = 2) the inclusion KOKUKO \to KU as the restriction of an analogous inclusion of tmf built as the global sections of the similarly derived moduli stack of elliptic curves.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorColin Tan
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014

I am reading the entry on KR cohomology theory. Just at the end of the Idea section, there is a “remark on terminology 1” subsection. This subsection begins with “Hence X here is equipped with an involution by a diffeomorphism.” I am not sure the “hence” is a consequence of which argument. Also the Idea section begins with introducing a real space as an “involution by a homeomorphism” so perhaps we are talking about a real manifold here?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014

Thanks for catching that, this remark was moved a little out of its original context. I have slightly rephrased it to now read as follows:

An involution on a space by a homeomorphism (or diffeomorphism) as they appear in KR theory may be thought of as a “non-linear real structure”, and therefore spaces equipped with such involutions are called “real spaces”. Following this, KRKR-theory is usually pronounced “real K-theory”. But beware that this terminology easily conflicts with or is confused with KO-theory. For disambiguation the latter might better be called “orthogonal K-theory”. But on abstract grounds maybe KRKR-theory would best be just called 2\mathbb{Z}_2-equivariant complex K-theory.

Regarding your last question: I am not sure if I understand what you are after. Maybe with the above rephrasing this is now clarified? Or maybe I am missing something.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorColin Tan
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2014
    Thanks Urs: whatever I was confused about has been clarified with your rephrasing.