Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2014
    • (edited May 10th 2014)

I have just deleted a large number of dollar \ , dollar from the bottom of Blakers-Massey theorem. The effect of such is to add a large ammount of blank space at the end of the page. Was this intentional extra space for something? If not, what is causing it? I should add that I have found similar blank space before and deleted that as well.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 10th 2014)

I add such vertical whitespace in order to be able to link to anchors at the bottom of an entry. In this case I was linking to the last subsection of the references section. Without enough whitespace at the bottom, the linking does not really work, Instead the user gets whatever is one screen height above the bottom of the entry.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I asked about this recently as well. While I understand the reason, (with all due respect to Urs) I don’t find it an attractive solution. If the link were named by the title of the subsection, won’t the reader find it without difficulty?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

Can anyone suggest another possibly more elegant way around the problem?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

In my experience, if you point people to anywhere on the web and the information is more than that one click away, most readers will not see it. In particular when I am pointing, as is the case here, non-experts to a specific reference or to a chunk of references, I don’t want to rely on them to figure out what item in a bunch neither of which means anything to them I might mean.

What is bothersome about whitespace at the end of an entry?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • (edited May 10th 2014)

What is bothersome about whitespace at the end of an entry?

It looks ugly to me, and also looks like a glitch.

In my experience, if you point people to anywhere on the web and the information is more than that one click away, most readers will not see it. In particular when I am pointing, as is the case here, non-experts to a specific reference or to a chunk of references, I don’t want to rely on them to figure out what item in a bunch neither of which means anything to them I might mean.

I share Tim’s hope for a more elegant general way around this problem. But (not knowing the exact text you are using for the pointer), if I wrote “Readers may find more useful information in References in Homotopy Type Theory and ∞-topos theory”, then I’d strongly believe they’d find it (as this subsection title is in big bold header type). Or, if you want to point to a more specific bibliographic item, you could say e.g., “see the formalized proof by Lumsdaine, Finster, and Licata under References in Homotopy Type Theory and ∞-topos theory”, or something along those lines. That’d be what I’d do.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

This is about browsers’ behaviour when a link is near the bottom of the page. Given that this is standard for every browser with every website, I think people should be used to the fact that when you click on a link it might not be right at the top of the page.

Of course, the solution is simple: add enough links to every page so that the “linked from” is so big that it fills an entire screen.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

To be frank, I don’t get it. But of course I do understand that there is a majority against this hack.

• CommentRowNumber9.

I’ve added a little CSS which highlights the anchor target and so draws attention to it wherever it is on the page.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Ah, great! Thanks!

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

so that the “linked from” is so big that it fills an entire screen.

I think Urs and others (including me) agreed quite a while ago that the long list “linked from” is, while space-filling, not of much use (besides it has several bugs: it does not list the items which link the page by its aliases, but it does link so many those which call upon the FTOC which is included on the side. I think linked from list should be replaced by a single link like the TeX, or AllPages is.

• CommentRowNumber12.

Zoran, I was joking. I know people don’t like the “linked from” list and that’s why I suggested it.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2014

I knew, of course, that you were joking. I was just reiterating the opinion from before.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014

Andrew, I noticed that CSS, and I like it!

More generally on other sites, if you use Firefox, then there is an ‘Advanced’ option ‘Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages’ that you can select. Then whenever you follow a link to a place within a web page, you'll see your cursor wherever you wanted to be. (And as a bonus, you can select text and otherwise move around using the arrow keys.) That's what I do!

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014

Thank you, Toby.