Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010

Tim Porter added references to microbundle and I edited the formatting of the entry a bit

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010
    Perhaps I should say why I think these objects might warrant more attention. If you look at the sources yu realise that they were one of the central tools in the 1960s in the work that handle smoothing and triangulation. I have a feeling that when it comes to questions on the discretisation of diff geom. that work needs to be taken into account somehow.
  1. Added some info and a reference.

Anonymous

diff, v10, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2018

Added some ’classical’ references.

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2021

Added the original reference. Removed the following discussion to the nForum:

David Roberts: A couple of years ago I thought of importing topological groupoids to this concept for the following reason: The tangent microbundle M×MM\times M, when MM is a manifold, is the groupoid integrating the tangent bundle TMTM of MM. If we have a general Lie groupoid, we can form the Lie algebroid, which is a very interesting object. If we have a topological groupoid, it seems to me that there should be a microbundle-like object that acts like the algebroid of that groupoid. This should reduce to the tangent microbundle in the case of the codiscrete groupoid = pair groupoid. Perhaps not all topological groupoids would have an associated algebroid, but those wih source and target maps that are topological submersions probably will.

diff, v15, current