Not signed in (Sign In)

Start a new discussion

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry bundles calculus categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-theory cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality education elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory infinity integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limit limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monads monoid monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology multicategories nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics planar pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes science set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010
    • (edited Jan 6th 2010)

I took the liberty of incorporating material from Andre Joyal's latest message to the CatTheory mailing list into the entry dagger-category:

created sections

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010

Joyal really made a surprising, subtle and beautiful point. So far the most interesting remark in the whole dagger discussion, to my taste.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010

Does anyone consider a bicategory of dagger-catgeories? Or dagger-functor categories? Hence a closed monoidal structure on dagger categories? Things like that?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I think the category of dagger-categories and dagger-functors is actually cartesian closed. Giving you in particular a "locally-dagger" 2-category of dagger categories.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Mar 22nd 2010)

What's the dagger structure on the internal hom?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Oh, right, sorry, I get it.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

started The category fo dagger-categories

but have to interrup now-- have to dash to get some dinner...

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • (edited Mar 22nd 2010)

Yes, best typo of all time.

Please do not fix it.

The Category fo Dagger Categories, the place where all the cool cats like to go.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Mar 22nd 2010)

Yes, best typo of all time.

Thanks, I am practicing typos a lot.

anyway: dinner is over, here are more details: the category of dagger-categories

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorIan_Durham
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010
    This comment is invalid XHTML+MathML+SVG; displaying source. <div> <blockquote><br/>The Category fo Dagger Categories, the place where all the cool cats like to go.<br/></blockquote><br/>Yo. </div>
    • CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorTim Campion
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2020

I’m interested in learning more about the contents of Joyal’s email to the categories mailing list from Jan 6, 2010 about dagger categories, but I wasn’t subscribed to the list at the time and I haven’t figured out how to access the archives at gmane. Could somebody post a copy of Joyal’s email? I’m particularly interested to know his definition of infinity dagger category and whether he constructed a full model structure for them.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUlrik
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2020
    • (edited Sep 27th 2020)

There’s a copy of the archives here (by Simon Burton). Joyal’s main message is 5477 (Jan 5) with 5487 (Jan 6) as a follow-up.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2020

Thanks so much! Apparently Joyal didn’t really write anything more than is found on the nlab page.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2020

Curious: Joyal’s site of choice for his \dagger simplicial sets – the site of nonempty finite ordinals and maps which preserve or reverse order – is not a full subcategory of the category of dagger categories. For instance, Δ[1]\Delta[1] is the walking arrow, but the free dagger category on an arrow has infinitely many morphisms, so that Hom(Δ[1],Δ[1])Hom(\Delta[1],\Delta[1]) is not correct for Δ[1]\Delta[1] to be identified with this dagger category. Relatedly, in Joyal’s putative model structure, the representables won’t be fibrant.

I think the site is an Eilenberg-Zilber category, but it has nontrivial automorphisms. Relatedly, the obvious interval object given by the walking unitary isomorphism is not cofibrant. So there seem to be technical difficulties, at any rate, in constructing this model structure.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2020

By the way, if there are any links or quotations still broken or missing in the entry, then – as a service to the community and to the next reader who may have the same question as in #11 – please fix or else add them.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUlrik
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2020
    • (edited Oct 2nd 2020)

Fix links to Joyal’s posts, as it seems Gmane is not coming back anytime soon.

For more information on what happened to Gmane, see this blog post by Lars Ingebrigtsen.

diff, v41, current

Add your comments
  • Please log in or leave your comment as a "guest post". If commenting as a "guest", please include your name in the message as a courtesy. Note: only certain categories allow guest posts.
  • To produce a hyperlink to an nLab entry, simply put double square brackets around its name, e.g. [[category]]. To use (La)TeX mathematics in your post, make sure Markdown+Itex is selected below and put your mathematics between dollar signs as usual. Only a subset of the usual TeX math commands are accepted: see here for a list.

• (Help)