Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2014

I noticed that (is this related to migration to new version) that very many pages containing the LaTeX formulas delegated to codecogs do not work any more in nLab and it says invalid equation. Using xymatrix format is quite essential to me. For examples see split equalizer (zoranskoda) in my public lab. To me all the benefits of the upgrade together are much less than the ability to use xymatrix. Though the software for codecogs exist in stand alone version not referring to online production. It would be better to have the stand alone version; it is not free though.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Can you provide me with an example of an \xymatrix that works in the codecogs editor? I just tried a simple one in their online editor and it didn’t work so I’m unable to test where the problem lies as I’m unable to generate working code on their site.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Here’s some other websites that use codecogs with xymatrix also showing the “invalid equation” error:

So I recommend that you take your complaint to the codecogs people as it would appear that they have disabled xy.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh

You can also use this diagram renderer: http://presheaf.com

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Darn. So I have now briefly edited HowTo to reflect this (minimally).

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2014

So I recommend that you take your complaint to the codecogs people as it would appear that they have disabled xy.

Maybe they do it for online editions, but the standalone I suppose can do it, and once one has a standalone version, nobody could disable it. I have seen no other reason to use codecogs here other than to use it for xy packet…

4 > You can also use this diagram renderer: http://presheaf.com

How can I import those renderings into nlab entries in real time, updatable ?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

OK, now some general thinking on TeX environ, nothing to do with nLab:

I also think much of our problems with math rendering in general is due to the TeX non-modularity. 99% of why we use TeX versions is for good and flexible rendering of math formulas. But TeX is also doing zillion of other things like formatting pages, paragraphs, chapters, numerating formulas etc. etc. etc. which have nothing to do with the major thing, If one would have a small part of TeX which just translated local text (plus the basic logic of counters and macros which has nothing to do with output), e.g. formula code to its rendering and allowing macros and predefined extra symbols we could use this code in so many applications online and at a desktop. But somehow Knuth had philosophy that formatting book chapters should be in the same software and that we should change this to call it TeX. I think this external formatting is so unimportant to the heart of this beautiful software and it is so non-transferrable to new kinds of media like web. Unlike the basic logic of TeX and unlike the stuff about local presentation, within a paragraph or even more strictly within a formula. So if one even writes the subset which is about a being able to code a single formula code then it is questionable when it is TeX and when not. Also dvi plugin viewers for web browsers have the same problem: they want to view many pages or big chunks. Why not take this away and then just show the microwindows of dvi images of various size which could be embedded anywhere in web page.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

On Sep 2011, codecogs rep said

Regarding our inclusion of xypic, unless we find it significantly degrades performance or has a security liability we won’t remove it.

http://www.codecogs.com/f-2380