Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2014
    • (edited Jun 9th 2014)

With all this discussion of complex analytic things, here’s a question which may clear up a number of points for me: over *× *\mathbb{C}^\ast\times\mathbb{C}^\ast there is a holomorphic line bundle with curvature dx/xdy/ydx/x \wedge dy/y. It is trivialised by pulling back along exp×idexp\times id. Clearly this does not naively go through to the algebraic world. Is there some sort of analogous canonical algebraic line bundle on 𝔾 m×𝔾 m\mathbb{G}_m\times\mathbb{G}_m? If one allows things like log schemes, which I don’t understand, then I guess it might work.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2014

To record a reference that needs to go in the lab, but I don’t know where, yet:

Grothendieck, in Le groupe de Brauer II, proposition 1.4 says that for Noetherian schemes satisfying a condition (satisfied, for instance, by smooth varieties), all algebraic 𝔾 m\mathbb{G}_m-gerbes (in the étale topology) are torsion, and indeed all such nn-gerbes are torsion. Now I don’t know how this works when we take Deligne cohomology instead of just sheaf cohomology, but it seems relevant for Urs’ recent interest in the interface between the analytic and algebraic worlds.

In particular this shows that the standard gerbes on a nice Lie group (e.g. simple, simply-connected and compact/reductive), hence the String 2-groups, will never lift to the algebraic world (Andre Henriques told me this last year, but I’ve just now finally tracked down this reference).

How much we need to have in some sense a union of the analytic and algebraic world when using these 2-groups, I don’t know.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 12th 2014)

I don’t know where,

At holomorphic line n-bundle or, if you wish to create it, algebraic line n-bundle.

this shows that the standard gerbes on a nice Lie group (e.g. simple, simply-connected and compact/reductive), hence the String 2-groups, will never lift to the algebraic world

One wouldn’t want to make the gerbe on the Lie group GG itself holomorphic/algebraic. One wants to make the transgression of the 2-gerbe on BG\mathbf{B}G to the moduli stack of (flat) GG-connections over a complex/algebraic surface homolomorphic/algebraic, because that is part of the program of quantizing 3d Chern-Simons theory and 2d self-dual higher gauge theory. The resulting system of holomorphic/algebraic bundles induced by the string gerbe is what Lurie calls “2-equivariant elliptic cohomology”. More on this is here.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have added some form of the statetement that you are referring to (together with a pointer to the MO discussion) at holomorphic line n-bundle – Properties. But please expand, if possible. I have also cross-linked to this from Brauer group – Relation to etale cohomology.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited Jun 12th 2014)

I’m not sure the statement using GAGA is true. For instance, there is a nontorsion holomorphic gerbe on SL_n(C), a lift of the basic gerbe (I will discuss this in Edinburgh, among other things). And G_m is not a coherent sheaf, in any case.

Edit: I should clarify: someone wrote on wikipedia something like GAGA holds for G_m, but it can’t be true by the above observation, this was one thing that set me off to find the reference.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

all right, go to algebraic line n-bundle then.

I have to rush off now.

• CommentRowNumber7.

Will do. As I said, this was just to put it in writing to get me warmed up.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2014

vaguely related, I have added the following to Brauer group

The observation that passing to derived algebraic geometry makes also the non-torsion elements in H et 2(,𝔾 m)H^2_{et}(-,\mathbb{G}_m) be represented by (derived) Azumaya algebras is due to

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2014

By the way, the story of analytically continued Chern-Simons theory suggests that in the complex analytic setting one is to find an analog of the String 2-group extending SL(n,)SL(n,\mathbb{C}). Or something.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2014

As I said, wait till I see you in Scotland ;-)

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2014

coming back to #1, just for the record: the question is if the Deligne line bundle exists in logarithmic algebraic geometry

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2014

Yes, that’s the better question.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2014
    • (edited Jul 7th 2014)

The discussion in Saito 14, implementing a proposal stated in Drinfeld 03, suggests that in the (Nisnevich) algebraic context one should replace B𝔾 m\mathbf{B}\mathbb{G}_m by the algebraic K-theory 𝒦Ω K alg()\mathcal{K} \coloneqq \Omega^\infty K_{alg}(-), hence B n+1𝔾 m\mathbf{B}^{n+1} \mathbb{G}_m by B n𝒦\mathbf{B}^n \mathcal{K}.

In particular part of what Saito discusses is, it seems, a lift of the E E_\infty map from an algebraic loop group to B𝔾 m\mathbf{B}\mathbb{G}_m which classifies the canonical loop group extension to an E E_\infty-map to 𝒦\mathcal{K}. (This statement is a bit implicit in his theorem 1.13, see the lower part of the proof on p. 29 for a more explicit incarnation).

I am not saying that it is clear to me that this might be the way to go about the lack of an algebraic incarnation of the Chern-Simons line 3-bundle, but maybe it’s an idea to look into.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2014

In fact, also from the physics perspective the CS line 3-bundle should be thought of as a KUKU-line 2-bundle (see slide 19 here), a statement that when looped twice has the form of what Saito discusses. Hm..