Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2014

There was a note at the top of ideal:

This entry discusseds the notion of ideal in fair generality. For an entry closer to the standard notion see at ideal in a monoid.

I've removed this, as it seems exactly backwards. The pages are equally standard, but the most common notion of ideal is that of an ideal in a ring, and that is the first thing discussed at ideal, and in very basic terms; but at ideal in a monoid, this is discussed only via rings' being monoids in AbAb, and it's not spelt out.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2014
    • (edited Jun 23rd 2014)

Sorry, I suppose that was me.

I remember linking to ideal for the standard notion, then briefly checking what that takes the reader to, and getting away with the impression that it sends the reader not so much to the standard story as to some generalization of it.

I realize that I was wrong, and thanks for fixing it. But I do think the Idea-sectionat ideal could be improved. Let it say what actually the basic idea of ideals is, and don’t let it end in such a way (as currently) that makes the impression that not the standard story but some generalization is being discussed.

(Of course I can try to edit myself, but will be offline now with no telling when I’ll be back.)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2014

Actually, ideal doesn't have an Idea section; it starts with a Definition section. I tried to make it look more friendly, but perhaps you can write more later.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2014

I added some further remarks to ideal.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2016

I’ve also been adding stuff to ideal in a monoid. I quickly whipped up a general context in which ideals in a monoid form a quantale under the usual product operation on ideals. It might be a little bit ad hoc, so if you know of something nicer…

Some of you may be following what I’m up to here. Basically I wanted a nice general context for prime ideal theorem which would handle all the usual cases (including rings/rigs, possibly noncommutative) in one fell swoop. The plan is to define a prime ideal, in the generality of the context referred to above, as a prime element in a quantale of ideals. Then existence of a prime ideal, for any notion of ideal fitting in that general context, could be deduced from the ultrafilter lemma once we know that the quantale of ideals is compact, according to this paper which builds on work of Banaschewski. This I find a fairly clean and conceptual approach to prime ideal theorems.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Very interesting! Is it necessary to pass to the bicategory? Or could we just look at C/A\mathbf{C}/A with the monoidal structure induced by the monoid structure of AA?

Also, I notice that you’re using AA for the monoid, whereas the Definition section of the page uses SS for the monoid and AA for the ideal.

• CommentRowNumber7.

I’ll have to think more about your first sentence, but I did want to consider two-sided ideals, and so I thought I wanted a context of two-sided bimodules to begin with. But maybe it’s okay under your suggestion (which would be simpler).

Yes, thanks for pointing out the clash in notation. I had begun the edits a couple of days ago, attending to the notation originally set out by Toby, and then forgot about it! :-)

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2016

My thought was that the bimodule tensor product over AA is a quotient of the ordinary tensor product (in C\mathbf{C}), so if we’re eventually just taking the image in AA in both cases, it shouldn’t matter.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2016

But the poset of subobjects of AA as an object of C\mathbf{C} is different from the poset of subobjects of AA as an object of Mod AMod_A. Am I missing something?