Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2015

I added a new section to Bayesian reasoning, Exchangeability, which outlines the de Finetti Representation theorem. As indicated, there’s a multivariate version. This was used to talk about Bose-Einstein statistics.

I wonder if anything interesting would happen with a HoTT rendition of statistical meachanics.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Dougherty
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2015

I don’t know whether there’s anything interesting for math or physics, but I think that there are interesting things to be said regarding the philosophical literature surrounding particle individuality in classical and quantum contexts. I’ve been starting to think about this recently, mostly inspired by learning about species in HoTT, and the discussion at your n-café post on the covariance of coloured balls. I think that it would be helpful in getting philosophers (of physics, anyway) on board with higher identities to link them up with Simon Saunders’ work on Leibniz’s identity principles. I think that philosophers of physics might be convinced when they see how useful higher identities are in treating what they call “weak discernibility”, following Saunders, and how this is related to the treatment of counting via groupoid cardinalities.

Thinking of species and your mention of Bose-Einstein statistics reminds me of a puzzling quote from Connes that John Baez has mentioned a number of times (e.g., here). I don’t really have anything to contribute to solving that puzzle, I’m just resurrecting it because I’ve been running into it a lot lately.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2015

I wonder how far reflecting on indiscernibility of particles takes us. Maybe HoTT thinking can counteract the tendency to rely on classical, set theoretic modes of thought. Then again, there’s the danger in overlooking the achievement of even extracting a particle account from a QFT, as we’re being warned at particle.

Perhaps better to bring species into the game by working out the connections between: Fock space, groupoidification, geometric function theory, dependent linear type theory, tangent infinity-topos, Goodwillie calculus, …, and maybe stuff types meets categorified Heisenberg algebra.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Perhaps better to bring species into the game by working out the connections between: Fock space, groupoidification, geometric function theory, dependent linear type theory, tangent infinity-topos, Goodwillie calculus, …, and maybe stuff types meets categorified Heisenberg algebra.

The royal road to general abstract accounts of particle statistics should be via the exponential modality, which interconnects at least five of the keywords that you mention.

• CommentRowNumber5.

I was going to point out that a chunk of the relations are written out in section 5.5. of dcct, including

5.5.3 Exponential modality, Linear spaces of states and Fock space.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015

I came across this old comment (well only 16 months old):

So we have a refined kind of logic – linear homotopy-type theory – which describes quantum field theoretic processes in their probabilistic nature and is at the same time such that making propositions about these QFT systems means “wave function collapse”. All this from the logical substrate, nothing put in “by hand”. Seems to be rather beautiful to me. (But I guess this point deserves to be further elaborated on eventually…)

There would be a good project for philosophers to get involved in.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015

There would be a good project for philosophers to get involved in.

If you see an opportunity to make a philosopher colleague of yours interested in this, that might be worthwhile. My impression is that there is much to be gained here.