Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2015
    • (edited Jul 31st 2015)

In an application I am running into the following situation:

given an \infty-topos and 1-group objects GG and AA in it, and given a cocycle

c:BGB nA\mathbf{c} \colon \mathbf{B}G \longrightarrow \mathbf{B}^n A

one is looking for 1-group extensions p:BG^BGp \colon \mathbf{B}\hat G\to \mathbf{B}G for which p *cp^\ast \mathbf{c} trivializes.

If here the constraint that G^\hat G be a 1-group (be 0-truncated) were omitted, then of course the universal BG^\mathbf{B}\hat G such that p *cp^\ast \mathbf{c} trivcializes is the homotopy fiber of c\mathbf{c}.

With the 1-group condition included, is there still a way to characterized G^\hat G as a nice universal construction that is guaranteed to exist? This must be something basic.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Why do you think that such a 1-group ought to always exist?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • (edited Jul 31st 2015)

Do you have nontrivial examples in mind? It seems the “topology” (or rather shape) of G needs to be uncomplicated, at the very least.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jul 31st 2015)

@Mike, I don’t think that, I was asking if this is the case. I am wondering quite generally if there is anything useful that one might say here abstractly, as I happen to be looking at an interesting example where this situation appears.

@David, yes, the 4-cocycle on the super-translation group in 11d trivializes on the extension by the super group structure on the “exceptional tangent bundle”. I mention this in the thread from higher to exceptional geometry. This turns out to be most profound, so I am wondering if there is some nice general abstract story behind it.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Well, it seems to be asking for a sort of coreflection of the fiber into 1-types, and coreflections into n-types don’t exist in general.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Ah, so the group is (apart from the issue of super points) contractible. It may be special to that case, namely a trivialising cover for the higher bundle classified by c just happens to be 1-truncated and deloopable. It may come down to some representation-theoretic fact, perhaps.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2015
    • (edited Aug 1st 2015)

a trivialising cover for the higher bundle classified by c just happens to be 1-truncated and deloopable

In the example that I am looking at it just so happens, exactly, but is that observation in any way an example of a more general phenomenon?

When you follow the references in what I pointed to, you’ll see that the first authors found two variants of that 1-group extension, while later authors saw that these sit in a 1-parameter family, each member shares the same underlying bosonic body. I’d like to know things like whether there could be yet more solutions that look completely different. From looking at how the computation works, it however seems intuitively as if in the bosonic part there is no other choice, so maybe it’s actually the universal solution to the problem here. This would be most interesting to know.