Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorporton
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2015

Higher Operads, Higher Categories, page 47 says that a Set\mathbf{Set}-graph is an ordinary directed graph.

I don’t understand this: Set\mathbf{Set}-graph is an X 0×X 0X_0\times X_0-indexed family of objects of Set\mathbf{Set}, that is a family of sets. Thus edges of the graph are sets.

It makes no sense for me that edges are sets. Moreover, edges of “an ordinary directed graph” are not necessarily sets (unless we assume something like standard ZF where every object is a set).

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Thus edges of the graph are sets.

No, that’s not the right idea.

The underlying idea is something that’s well worth getting used to: that a function f:YXf: Y \to X can be regarded equivalently as a family of sets Y x=f 1({x})Y_x = f^{-1}(\{x\}). (Note that the Y xY_x could be empty.)

Thus, given a directed graph consisting of a set X 0X_0, a set EE, and a source-target function d 0,d 1:EX 0×X 0\langle d_0, d_1 \rangle: E \to X_0 \times X_0, we can assign to each pair of vertices (x,y)X 0×X 0(x, y) \in X_0 \times X_0 the set of edges ee such that d 0(e)=xd_0(e) = x and d 0(e)=yd_0(e) = y. Conversely, given a family {F (x,y)} (x,y)X 0×X 0\{F_{(x, y)}\}_{(x, y) \in X_0 \times X_0}, form a directed graph where the edge set EE is the disjoint union (x,y)X 0×X 0F (x,y)\bigsqcup_{(x, y) \in X_0 \times X_0} F_{(x, y)}, and the source-target pairing satisfies d 0,d 1(e)=(x,y)\langle d_0, d_1 \rangle(e) = (x, y) for eEe \in E precisely when eF (x,y)e \in F_{(x, y)}.

So directed graphs are mathematically equivalent to Set\mathbf{Set}-graphs.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorporton
    • (edited Sep 20th 2015)

@Todd_Trimble What you described above is completely clear. I have no trouble understanding this. Don’t count me stupid.

The problem that F (x,y)F_{(x,y)} in “Higher Operads, Higher Categories” is a set of objects, not a set of morphisms.

The trouble is that in that book X(x,x )X(x,x^') (which is considered the set of edges of the constructed graph) are objects of 𝒱\mathcal{V} not morphisms. For me it makes no sense to consider objects as edges.

So I don’t understand how Set\mathbf{Set}-graphs are equivalent to directed graphs. Sorry. It seems easy but I don’t understand.

Maybe, it is a mere typo and we should read “of morphisms of 𝒱\mathcal{V}” instead “of objects of 𝒱\mathcal{V}” at page 47?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorporton

Oh, I’ve understood my error:

“A family” here means an unordered set. I confused it with an indexed family.

Now it seems clear.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorporton

Wrong, nevermind my previous comment.

Now I have really understood. Issue closed. Sorry for your time taken by my stupidity.