Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorjonatan
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015
    Is there notion about optimal object in category (that can be found by some algorithms, or - more importantly - that can be constructed (if unknown) by some algorithms), about metric and objective function over objects of category. I suppose, that metric and objective function is required to elaborate algoritms, that finds the searched object. What algorithms they can be? I suppose - graph and hypergraph algorithms.

The core problem is this: there is lot of coalgebraic logics, each logic is defined by functor T, all functors T forms the category (as functors usually do). One should find the appropriate category for the required task and that means - find the optimal functors (object of the functor category). More concrete examle is this - there are deontic coalgebraic logics that may and may not contain paradoxes, find (construct) the logic that does not contain paradoxes.

This can be great for AI as well. AI sometimes requires (e.g. for modelling cognitive and affective agents) agents with distinct personality and cognitive feature (e.g. to model the profile of customer) and then one should be able to select and mix the appropriate logics that do this modelling.
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthortomr
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2019

While googling for the symbolic methods for optimization I have found this: http://math.mit.edu/~nrozen/juvitop/goodwillie-icm.pdf

The differentiation of the functor is metioned here, it seems to me that the full analysis for the functors are derived by this author.

So, if there the analysis of functors then: 1) this analysis should consider maximums and minimums for the functors (e.g. pointing the some sumpremums object in the codomain category) and hence - the objects in the domain category for which those extram are achieved. So - the this can be THE theory of the optimal object. 2) this analysis should consider variational integral for the functor and so - in principle one should be able to derive the optimal functor with such tools.

Of course, I only will start to read this series of papaers and then I will see whether my expectations are satisfied, but it is nice to know that I am not the only one who is trying to use category theory for finding the optimal objects, optimal categories or optimal functors.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthortomr
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2019
    • (edited May 6th 2019)

Sorry, work by Goodwillie can not be applied for finding symbolic structures (logics, theories, set of expressions in some theory) that would be optimal in some kind of sense.