Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorjkabrg
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2016
    • (edited Jan 1st 2016)

The article on rigs claims that

Any rig can be completed to a ring by adding negatives, in the same way that the natural numbers are completed to the integers. When applied to the set of isomorphism classes of objects in a rig category, the result is part of algebraic K-theory.

Counterexample: Tropical rig.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

It does not claim that every rig can be embedded into a ring. The ring completion is merely the universal ring equipped with a rig homomorphism from the given rig.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Completed is probably a poor choice of word then. What’s the word one uses for the process giving the “field completion” of a local ring?…. Ah, residue field is it. Maybe “residue ring” of a rig, or some similar thing?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2016

The article completion does mention that this word is usually reserved for a faithful reflector, where the unit of the corresponding adjunction is monic. (The one exception I can think of off-hand is the “completion” of a not-necessarily Hausdorff uniform space to a complete uniform space; in the non-Hausdorff case the unit will not be injective.)

The article goes on to say that suffixes such as ’-ization’ (e.g. abelianization) and ’-ification’ (e.g. sheafification) are often used in cases where the unit is not monic. Following this, ’ringification’ of a rig might be a logical choice. (Or, if Cauchy completion is the exception that proves the rule, then other exceptions are okay too? Hmm…)

(I had to think for a moment what David said about “field completion” of a local ring being the residue field. I guess that’s true if one is working with the category of local rings and local homomorphisms. But I have to say I’m not crazy about ’residue ring’ of a rig.)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

We might speak of “annularisation” instead…

• CommentRowNumber6.

Well, another very obvious exception to the unit of a completion monad being monic, directly related to what we’re discussing in this thread, is group completion. That’s what everyone calls it (not “residue group”, not “groupification”), and of course the unit is not monic when applied to a commutative monoid that is not cancellative.

Since the ring completion of a rig is just lifting the group completion of the additive monoid, I think I lean now to the position of letting sleeping dogs lie, and not worry too much about the dogma that the unit of a completion should be monic.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

@Todd #6 makes sense to me, but it would probably also be helpful to add a comment to the page rig that the ring completion, like the group completion, is not necessarily faithful.

• CommentRowNumber8.

I added such a comment to rig.

• CommentRowNumber9.

Good argument, Todd. Note that the above was written part way through a marathon 40+ hour trip to get home. (For the curious, I left the Maas region 6am local time on Friday, and still 2.5 hrs till I get to Adelaide.)

• CommentRowNumber10.

Get some rest, David! :-) Australia is quite the vast terrain; I was only able to explore a little bit of it outside of Sydney, down the southeast coast to Melbourne and thence to Tasmania, and back again, in a car on loan from Gerry Myerson (who was always very kind to me).

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2016

Edit: the Maas region of the Netherlands :-)

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2016

Admittedly, I didn’t look it up. :-)