Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2016
    • (edited Feb 1st 2016)

I will be compiling something that ought to work as lecture notes for a course that introduces stable homotopy theory for people with background in homotopy theory, and aimed at understanding the Adams-Novikov spectral sequence, together with some extra material on the modern picture via descent down to Spec(𝕊)Spec(\mathbb{S}).

Just because as an nnLab entry that fits well into the existing growing lecture note series titled “geometry of physics”, I am putting that now into an entry that is titled

(as continuation of the previous geometry of physics – homotopy types) but for the time being there won’t be any physics here, except maybe in the guise of some links on further reading as it gets to the meaning of the stratification of Spec(MU)Spec(MU).

For the moment the entry has mainly just the intended skeleton, I will be adjusting that a little more and then start filling it with serious content.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2016

special importance is carried by those E-∞ rings such that Spec(E)Spec(𝕊)Spec(E) \to Spec(\mathbb{S}) is already a covering

is there another way to characterise these E-∞ rings?

In the ordinary case of rings whose specs cover \mathbb{Z} this is having characteristic 0? Does an E-∞ ring have a characteristic?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited Feb 2nd 2016)

Naturally there’s work here:

• Markus Szymik, Commutative S-algebras of prime characteristics and applications to unoriented bordism, arXiv:1211.3239
    • Markus Szymik, String bordism and chromatic characteristics, arXiv:1312.4658

the latter giving a refinement beyond primes as charactistic. And

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

David, re #2, I am not sure if I see the connection here, could you expand on what you have in mind? For instance Spec()Spec(\mathbb{Z}) trivially covers itself.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I am splitting off entries for facts that are usefully pointed to in their own right, such as

and I have been adding further literature pointers and cross-links there. To be expanded further.

• CommentRowNumber6.

Urs re #2, probably a mistaken tired thought. I was wondering for which rings, RR, is Spec(R)Spec()Spec(R) \to Spec(\mathbb{Z}) a cover. Is that not when R\mathbb{Z} \to R is some kind of mono? And doesn’t that connect to the characteristic of RR.

Anyway, the trip took me to see that E E_{\infty}-rings have characteristics too.