Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2016

started a minimum at E-nilpotent completion (the thing that an EE-Adams tower converges to).

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2016
    • (edited Jul 15th 2016)

I have added here the actual definition given by Bousfield. (I still don’t really have the proof that this coincides with the Tot-tower construction of the cosimplicial spectrum.)

Let (E,μ,e)(E, \mu, e) be a homotopy commutative ring spectrum (def.) and YHo(Spectra)Y \in Ho(Spectra) any spectrum. Write E¯\overline{E} for the homotopy fiber of the unit 𝕊eE\mathbb{S}\overset{e}{\to} E as in this def. such that the EE-Adams filtration of YY (def.) reads (according to this lemma)

E¯ 3Y E¯ 2Y E¯Y Y. \array{ \vdots \\ \downarrow \\ \overline{E}^3 \wedge Y \\ \downarrow \\ \overline{E}^2 \wedge Y \\ \downarrow \\ \overline{E} \wedge Y \\ \downarrow \\ Y } \,.

For nn \in \mathbb{N}, write

E¯ nhocof(E¯ ni n𝕊) \overline{E}_n \coloneqq hocof( \overline{E}^n \overset{i^n}{\longrightarrow} \mathbb{S})

for the homotopy cofiber. Here E¯ 00\overline{E}_0 \simeq 0. By the tensor triangulated structure of Ho(Spectra)Ho(Spectra) (prop.), this homotopy cofiber is preserved by forming smash product with YY, and so also

E¯ nYhocof(E¯ nYY). \overline{E}_n \wedge Y \simeq hocof( \overline{E}^n \wedge Y \overset{}{\longrightarrow} Y) \,.

Now let

E¯ sp s1E¯ s1 \overline{E}_s \overset{p_{s-1}}{\longrightarrow} \overline{E}_{s-1}

be the morphism implied by the octahedral axiom of the triangulated category Ho(Spectra)Ho(Spectra) (def., prop.):

E¯ s+1 i E¯ s EE¯ s ΣE¯ s+1 = i s E¯ s+1 𝕊 E¯ s ΣE¯ s+1 p s1 E¯ s1 = E¯ s1 ΣE¯ s ΣEE¯ s. \array{ \overline{E}^{s+1} &\overset{i}{\longrightarrow}& \overline{E}^s &\longrightarrow& E \wedge \overline{E}^s &\longrightarrow& \Sigma \overline{E}^{s+1} \\ {}^{\mathllap{=}}\downarrow && \downarrow^{\mathrlap{i^s}} && \downarrow^{} && \downarrow \\ \overline{E}^{s+1} &\longrightarrow& \mathbb{S} &\longrightarrow& \overline{E}_s &\longrightarrow& \Sigma \overline{E}^{s+1} \\ && \downarrow && \downarrow^{\mathrlap{p_{s-1}}} \\ && \overline{E}_{s-1} &\overset{=}{\longrightarrow}& \overline{E}_{s-1} \\ && \downarrow && \downarrow \\ && \Sigma \overline{E}^s &\longrightarrow& \Sigma E \wedge \overline{E}^s } \,.

By the commuting square in the middle and using again the tensor triangulated structure, this yields an inverse sequence under YY:

Y𝕊Yp 3idE¯ 3Yp 2idE¯ 2Yp 1idE¯ 1Y Y \simeq \mathbb{S} \wedge Y \longrightarrow \cdots \overset{p_3 \wedge id}{\longrightarrow} \overline{E}_3 \wedge Y \overset{p_2 \wedge id}{\longrightarrow} \overline{E}_2 \wedge Y \overset{p_1 \wedge id}{\longrightarrow} \overline{E}_1 \wedge Y

The E-nilpotent completion Y E Y^\wedge_E of YY is the homotopy limit over the resulting inverse sequence

Y E lim nE¯ nY Y^\wedge_E \coloneqq \mathbb{R}\underset{\longleftarrow}{\lim}_n \overline{E}_n \wedge Y

or rather the canonical morphism into it

YY E . Y \longrightarrow Y^\wedge_E \,.

Concretely, if

Y𝕊Yp 3idE¯ 3Yp 2idE¯ 2Yp 1idE¯ 1Y Y \simeq \mathbb{S} \wedge Y \longrightarrow \cdots \overset{p_3 \wedge id}{\longrightarrow} \overline{E}_3 \wedge Y \overset{p_2 \wedge id}{\longrightarrow} \overline{E}_2 \wedge Y \overset{p_1 \wedge id}{\longrightarrow} \overline{E}_1 \wedge Y

is presented by a tower of fibrations between fibrant spectra in the model structure on topological sequential spectra, then Y E Y^\wedge_E is represented by the ordinary sequential limit over this tower.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2016

I have finally found a reference with a proof that Bousfield’s original definition is equivalent to the one in terms of the Tot-tower of the cosimplicial spectrum:

it is proposition 2.14 in the (neat) article

As the authors notice on p. 9

This result is certainly not new, but we have included it for lack of a convenient reference.

Indeed.

I have briefly added a corresponding paragraph to the entry here.