Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. I've started a "beauty" page for investigating questions as to what is beautiful in math and how that can illuminate the "big picture". I was glad to find a useful MathOverflow post thanks to Urs Schreiber's blog post.
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2016
    • (edited Apr 20th 2016)

Thanks for announcing this, but the nLab wiki is not a place where anyone is invited to write a page on whatever they like about mathematics (or physics or philosophy).

If you look around a little at recent discussions at the nForum and recent page creations and revisions at the nLab, you will see that ongoing projects here have precise technical content that (in general) is connected with and informed by categorical (and higher categorical) points of view. Other types of contributions may be welcomed, subject to conditions that are hard to spell out, but usually the scientific bar is set high and the contributions should pay heed to formal methods, at a level commensurate with professionalized mathematics.

In particular, diffuse musings on “beauty”, “discovery”, and “the big picture” do not fit and in all likelihood will not be tolerated.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2016

And I discourage creating more pages along the lines of the dot points at big picture (’humanity’ etc) I suggest setting up a freely-hosted blog and working there on this material, rather than hitching a ride on the nLab.