Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. I created a stub about essential sublocales. I’ll polish the entry a bit more in a few hours and then link to it from other entries.

I’m not sure how to name the left adjoint to the nucleus jj. Provisionally I named it “bb”, in allusion to the flat modality. I refrained from naming it “\flat”, since this symbool seems most often to refer to the induced action on subobjects or types.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to Kelly and Lawvere’s article On the complete lattice of essential localizations. It probably contains a few more properties of essential sublocales which I’d like to copy to the nLab entry.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016

Wow that article doesn’t seem easy to come by. My library has old issues of the Belg.Math.Soc journal in storage, I’m sure I could get a scan of the article in question.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorIngoBlechschmidt
    • (edited May 11th 2016)

Thanks to Guilherme Frederico Lima (who, incidentally, gave a nice talk titled From Essential Inclusions to Local Geometric Morphisms at Topos à l’IHÉS), I now have a copy of that article (and will gladly send it to anyone who asks). :-) I didn’t get around to announce that yesterday. Thanks for your offer to scan it!

For the moment, I’m done with editing the entry.

It’s mildly interesting that a sublocale X jXX_j \hookrightarrow X is essential from the internal point of view of the ambient sheaf topos Sh(X)Sh(X) if and only if it is open (instead of essential). At the moment I don’t know an internal characterization of essentiality, but I’ll look for it.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

I’m all for collecting hard-to-access category theory papers ;-)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

This reminds me to add a pointer to Lima’s talk to the nnLab here

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

It’s mildly interesting that a sublocale X jXX_j \hookrightarrow X is essential from the internal point of view of the ambient sheaf topos Sh(X)Sh(X) if and only if it is open (instead of essential).

That sounds like a locale version of the fact that a geometric morphism FEF\to E is essential from the internal point of view of EE iff it is locally connected. I kind of doubt there is a characterization of essentiality that is internal to the codomain; as I’ve understood it the whole point is that locally connected / open is the “internal version” of essentiality, by making the left adjoint indexed over the base.

2. I thought so too. But, unless I have made a calculational mistake, being an essential sublocal is a local property: A sublocale X jXX_j \hookrightarrow X is essential if and only if, for an open covering X= iU iX = \bigcup_i U_i, the sublocales X jU iU iX_j \cap U_i \hookrightarrow U_i are essential. Since the internal language cannot characterize properties which are not local, but being essential is local, there is some hope that it could be internalized.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Well, just being local is not sufficient to be internally characterizable.