Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2016
    • (edited Sep 21st 2016)

If you have seen my recent postings either on G+ [1,2,4,5] or on MO [3] then you may have wondered what all this is in aid of. It’s an attempt to show that the moduli space of Yang-Mills instantons on S 5S^5 on the unique nontrivial SU(2)SU(2) bundle there is non-empty (or rather, on a non-compact Riemannian manifold that compactifies to S 5S^5). This is parallel with simply trying to find solutions to the relevant PDEs, since it’s possible there are no solutions and I’m wasting my time.

The story is roughly as follows.

• Anti-self-dual contact instantons are also Yang-Mills instantons, and in fact the Yang-Mills action is bounded below by the action for contact instantons.
    • Contact instantons on a quasiregular K-contact Sasaki-Einstein 5-manifold MM can arise by pullback of ordinary (A)SD instantons from the quotient by the Reeb foliation, which is generically a Kähler 4-orbifold, but in the case at hand it is ℂℙ 2\mathbb{CP}^2 (S 5S^5 satisfies all these hypotheses). This is work of Baraglia and Hekmati
    • In particular, ASD instantons on ℂℙ 2\mathbb{CP}^2 pull back to give ASD contact instantons on S 5S^5.
    • However, all SU(2)SU(2)-bundles on ℂℙ 2\mathbb{CP}^2, classified by c 2c_2 \in \mathbb{Z} pull back to give a trivial bundle on S 5S^5 (Tyler Lawson told me this, in discussion on [1])
    • There are of course more ASD instantons on ℂℙ 2\mathbb{CP}^2 with structure group SO(3)SO(3), classified by w 2{0,1}w_2\in \{0,1\} and p 1p_1\in \mathbb{Z} (such that p 1w 2(mod4)p_1 \cong w_2 (mod 4)), with the SU(2)SU(2) ones arising from the cases w 2=0w_2=0, and subject to the requirement that p 13p_1 \leq -3, otherwise the moduli space of ASD instantons is empty. This is where serious analytic theorems come into play.
      • Note that there is no difference at the level of Lie algebras, so local data for an SO(3)SO(3)-connection is identical to the local data for an SU(2)SU(2)-connection on a lifted bundle. So if we can get an SO(3)SO(3) instanton on S 5S^5, we get an SU(2)SU(2) instanton (and the unique nontrivial SU(2)SU(2)-bundle corresponds to a unique nontrivial SO(3)SO(3)-bundle.
    • So if there is an SO(3)SO(3)-bundle on ℂℙ 2\mathbb{CP}^2 with w 2=1w_2=1 and p 13p_1 \leq -3 that pulls back to the nontrivial bundle on S 5S^5 we know that we have an SO(3)SO(3), hence SU(2)SU(2), ASD contact instanton, hence a Yang-Mills instanton.

The current most concrete problem I’m trying to solve is at [5], where I have set up a rather classical geometric situation with concrete models for (skeleta of) classifying spaces in order to see if I can detect whether S 5ℂℙ 2BSO(3)S^5 \to \mathbb{CP}^2 \to BSO(3) is nontrivial from other easier-to-handle data, in particular an element of [S 1,ℝℙ 2]=/2[S^1,\mathbb{RP}^2] = \mathbb{Z}/2.

[1] Here’s a bit of a puzzle…

[2] Looking at the Postnikov tower of BSO(3)

[3] The fifth k-invariant of BSO(3)

[4] …what happens to SO(3) bundles when pulled back along S^5 –> CP^2

[5] Real and quaternionic projective spaces and Grassmannians, and a fibre sequence of classifying spaces

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2016
    • (edited Sep 21st 2016)

I’ve had to roll back a couple of my claims at [5], since they were completely wrong. But I feel the map

ℍℙ 2Gr˜ 3(𝔤), \mathbb{HP}^2 \to \widetilde{Gr}_3(\mathfrak{g}),

for some Lie algebra 𝔤\mathfrak{g}, should be well known.

Alternatively, I would be just as happy to know what the corresponding ℝℙ 2\mathbb{RP}^2 bundle EE on an appropriately large Gr˜ 3(V)\widetilde{Gr}_3(V) is, where VV has large enough dimension to be classifying for 4-manifolds. Because then I would pull EE back along a classifying map ℂℙ 2Gr˜ 3(V)\mathbb{CP}^2\to \widetilde{Gr}_3(V) and check that the obstruction to S 5ES^5\to E descending to a section of Eℂℙ 2E\to \mathbb{CP}^2 was precisely the homotopy class of the map S 1ℝℙ 2S^1\to \mathbb{RP}^2 on fibres.