Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2016

For an (,1)(\infty,1)-topos to be cohesive, we require that Δ\Delta have a left adjoint ʃʃ that preserves products. However, even if no such adjoint exists, we can still define the “shape” of an object XHX\in H to be the hom-functor H(X,Δ()):GpdGpdH(X,\Delta(-)) : \infty Gpd \to \infty Gpd, which is left-exact and accessible. (This is just the shape of the over-topos H/XH/X.) Is there a condition on HH under which this non-representable shape preserves products? That is, such that H(X,Δ())×H(Y,Δ())H(X×Y,Δ())H(X,\Delta(-)) \times H(Y,\Delta(-)) \simeq H(X\times Y,\Delta(-))? Here the product on the left should probably be taken in the category LexAcc(Gpd,Gpd)LexAcc(\infty Gpd, \infty Gpd), since that’s what’s true if Δ\Delta does have a left adjoint preserving products.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorCharles Rezk

I don’t think that’s formulated right. Even if \int exists, I don’t think we expect that H(X,)×H(Y,)=H((X×Y),)H(\int X, -)\times H(\int Y,-)=H(\int(X\times Y),-), do we?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMarc Hoyois

This is probably not quite what you’re looking for, but :TopGrpd\int:\infty Top \to \infty Grpd preserves finite products of proper ∞-topoi. More generally, if XX is proper then (X×Y)YX\int(X\times Y)\simeq \int Y\circ\int X for any YY, by proper base change, and X\int X preserves filtered colimits. If F,GLexAccF,G\in LexAcc, there’s always a canonical map F×GFGF\times G\to F\circ G, and it’s an equivalence if FF preserves filtered colimits.

• CommentRowNumber4.

@Charles: Oh, oops, I meant the product should be taken in LexAcc(Gpd,Gpd) opLexAcc(\infty Gpd,\infty Gpd)^{op}. That’s necessary to get the variance right, and I believe the dual Yoneda embedding landing in there does preserve products, just like the ordinary Yoneda embedding landing in a category of colimit-preserving functions preserves those colimits.

@Marc: What do you mean by ʃ:TopGpdʃ : \infty Top \to \infty Gpd? Only locally contractible \infty-topoi have a representable shape, right?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2016

My bad, I meant :TopLexAcc(Gpd,Gpd) op\int: \infty Top \to LexAcc(\infty Gpd,\infty Gpd)^{op}.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2016

Ah, okay. That seems at least related.

Perhaps asking whether ʃ:HLexAcc opʃ:H\to LexAcc^{op} preserves products isn’t quite the right question. When HH is cohesive, we have ʃH=1ʃ H = 1, so that the product ʃX×ʃYʃ X \times ʃ Y is equivalently the pullback ʃX× ʃ1ʃYʃ X \times_{ʃ 1} ʃ Y, i.e. the pullback ʃ(H/X)× ʃHʃ(H/Y)ʃ(H/X) \times_{ʃ H} ʃ(H/Y). So maybe in general the place to start is by asking what pullbacks ʃ:TopLexAcc opʃ : Top \to LexAcc^{op} preserves, and then in what cases (H/X)× H(H/Y)(H/X) \times_H (H/Y) is such, and then perhaps add the condition that HH is connected (so that ʃH=1ʃH = 1).

By the way, let me remind everyone that ʃʃ is not an integral sign but an esh, ʃ

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2016
    • (edited Oct 19th 2016)

I realized there is another condition that make sense for arbitrary (connected) HH and is equivalent to ʃʃ preserving products if HH is locally connected: namely, that the discrete objects are an exponential ideal. It seems natural to conjecture that this is equivalent to the non-representable shape preserving products, and I can see part of one direction of a proof, but I’m stuck at

If F,GLexAccF,G\in LexAcc, there’s always a canonical map F×GFGF\times G\to F\circ G, and it’s an equivalence if FF preserves filtered colimits.

What is this canonical map, and why is it an equivalence if FF preserves filtered colimits?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2016

Oh, oops – if the discrete objects are an exponential ideal, then in particular they are closed under exponentials, and hence under arbitrary products; thus Δ\Delta is continuous, so by the adjoint functor theorem it has a left adjoint. So that condition is actually no weaker.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2016

@Mike Suppose FF is co-represented by the cofiltered diagram (X i)(X_i), and similarly GG by (Y j)(Y_j). Then F×GF\times G is co-represented by (X i×Y j)(X_i\times Y_j). So we have a map

(F×G)(U)=colim i,jMap(X i×Y j,U)=colim i,jMap(X i,Map(Y j,U))colim iMap(X i,colim jMap(Y j,U))=(FG)(U). (F \times G)(U) = colim_{i,j} Map(X_i\times Y_j,U) = colim_{i,j}Map(X_i, Map(Y_j, U)) \to colim_i Map(X_i, colim_j Map(Y_j, U)) = (F\circ G)(U).

The arrow can also be written as colim jF(Map(Y j,U))F(colim jMap(Y j,U))colim_j F(Map(Y_j, U)) \to F(colim_j Map(Y_j, U)).

• CommentRowNumber10.

Ah, but of course the map goes the other way in Pro(∞Gpd).

• CommentRowNumber11.

Ok, thanks.