Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorPaoloPerrone
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2016
    • (edited Oct 26th 2016)
    When I browse the nLab on mobile, all the equations and formulas look much smaller, and not well inline with the text (for example, long formulas overlap with part of the text that comes next). This way it is very, very hard to read. On tablets, instead, everything is fine.

Is there maybe some browser plugin that I could install, or anything similar? Or app? Or is it just an unsolved general upstream (MathML) problem?

I am sure I am not the only one, but I haven't seen the topic addressed elsewhere. In case someone said this already, apologies! (And please link me to that thread because I cannot find it.)

Thanks!

EDIT: Firefox for mobile is the only one that works fine. Alright, I'll stick to that!
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Apparently the vanilla Android browser does a reasonable job, better than Chrome (doesn’t help if you’ve not got an Android device). I find Firefox (again, on Android) lacks some fonts and so gives up on things that would at least render with MathJax, even if the layout is borked.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited Oct 26th 2016)

[duplicate posting]

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2016
    My native Android browser does the same as Chrome. I guess it depends on the version.
    So far I haven't had problems with Firefox with rendering. Could you please link me to a page that your Firefox does not render well, to test mine?
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2016

Have not encountered problems with Firefox 49.0.1 on my MacBook (OS X El Capitan).

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2016

@Todd I mean Firefox on my (Android) phone. I can’t manually install STIX fonts as far as I can tell ;-) Laptop is fine.

@Paolo I’ll have to find one, I’ll get back to you.

• CommentRowNumber7.

https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/orthogonal%20group doesn’t work in Firefox on Android for me, and it’s up to date.

1. @DavidRoberts Sorry, I don’t find the “vanilla Android browser” in Play Store.

• CommentRowNumber9.

It should be already on any Android phone, it’s just called ’Browser’.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    @DavidRoberts That page seems fine to me. Any particular equation/character I should look closer at?
    • CommentRowNumber11.

The blackboard bold characters for instance: https://goo.gl/photos/bZeuwwnJyYuEGTvYA, or some arrows and isomorphism symbols: https://goo.gl/photos/dF6Tw8RymqLwW32t7

• CommentRowNumber12.
    Oh. No, I see that perfectly.
    Looks indeed like a font problem, one of those things that on Linux you solve in one line of terminal...but that on mobile remain unsolved until you buy a new one :/
    • CommentRowNumber13.

@Paolo - ok, good to know. (blerg…)

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2016
    • (edited Oct 29th 2016)
    Well, actually there are some pages that also my Firefox (Android) does not render. For example, all the mathcal characters.

Alright, I give up.
    • CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorrks987
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2018
    There are now lots of android browsers.
    * microsoft edge has the same problem
    * opera mini has other problems
    * opera for android works!! (only tried on one big page)

When you've got more than one browser on android then clicking a link (when not in a browser) will offer you a choice of browsers. So you can use opera just for nlab.