Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorKeithEPeterson
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2016

I can’t help but notice the rose graphs look a lot like the diagrams for one-object categories. Shouldn’t I be able to define an isomorphism from one-object categories to rose graphs? Is there any use in taking this approach? If so, what does it say about looping/delooping?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2016

Is this what you are asking?

For a set AA are these 2 quivers somehow related to looping/delooping.

1. the discrete quiver with AA corresponding to objects and with no edges.
    2. the 1 object quiver with AA corresponding to the edges.

(the free categories on these 2 quivers are a discrete category and a free 1 object monoid on AA)

I would like to know the answer to this.

• CommentRowNumber3.

Someone on another forum made the joke, [0 1 1 0]8=\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1\\ -1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\cdot8=\infty. I wanted to see if I could make joke is ’true’ if we took 88 as a literal rose graph. However when looked up rose graphs, the two leaf graph did not exist (or at least not as a figure-eight). The category theorist in me noticed that these curves look like diagrams of one-object categories, so curiosity makes me wonder if rose graphs have a relation to monoids and groups.

I know you can map a line to a rose graph, and in some ways, that reminded me of a looping process.

• CommentRowNumber4.

Actually, yeah. My hunch was right! It’s a topological rose, which are topological representations of free groups, though one could enforce an orientation on the loops to make it a monoid.

This makes drawing one-object categories much more easier using a rose curve than using Bézier curves from a small dot to itself.