Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorKeithEPeterson
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2016

Added the page partition logic. Will breathe more life into it.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2016
    • (edited Dec 16th 2016)

What would be the best way to say that partition logic is dual to subset logic in an nlab way?

The paper I’m referencing: The Logic of Partitions: Introduction to the Dual of the Logic of Subsets.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2016

I came across that paper before and got the impression that the author was a dilettante and/or crackpot.

In category theory the quotient object lattice of a set is dual to its subobject lattice in the sense that the first uses surjections while the second uses injections.

In briefly relooking at that paper I see that he argues why his partition lattice has to be opposite (upside down) to the natural quotient object lattice without seeming to be aware of quotient objects lattices. I guess he may have started off a ways back looking at a partition lattice in his favorite orientation and has since tried to graft on category theoretical notions.

About the only one who cites that paper is the author himself, and he does so a lot.

I’d be happy if you could show he was really saying something worthwhile reading. For what it is worth he has a more recent 2014 paper An introduction to partition logic which seems to be pretty much the same as the 2011 paper.

• CommentRowNumber4.

Very well.

Is there a way to remove pages?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

“Crackpot” would, I think, be way too harsh. “Dilettante”: well, I can think of well-regarded mathematicians who strike me as dilettantish in some respects.

David Ellerman is a philosopher at UC Riverside, where John Baez is tenured. He has also written on heteromorphisms. It happens that I am in correspondence with a young man about his papers cited at heteromorphism, which personally I do not find compelling but which others besides him seem to cite here and there.

Having said all that, I agree with Rod that I’m not sure the partition logic paper is noteworthy enough to devote a big nLab article to. But let me add that lattices of partitions are intensively studied in lattice theory, being a fundamental example of a geometric lattice (related to matroid) and have interesting applications in combinatorics. For example, Joyal related their homology to the Lie operad in SLNM 1234. So what I might propose is that someone start an article partition lattice which mentions some of these things, including the Ellerman paper if that seems warranted. I could maybe start that in a few days or over Christmas break if no one else does.

Rod of course is also correct that in an exact category, Quot(X)Quot(X) is dual to Equiv(X×X)Equiv(X \times X) which sits inside Sub(X×X)Sub(X \times X) as a meet semi-lattice.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2016

To remove a page, look at category: empty and see which number should be used next, then rename the page to empty ### using that number. Replace the content (including the automatically added redirect with category: empty.

(To remove the backlog of empty pages, one should also create pages by reversing this process, although it's easy to forget to do that.)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2016

I take it that’s buried somewhere in the howto…

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2016

I don't think that it is, actually!

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

It should be.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I just added a subsection to HowTo, How to remove a page, pasting in Toby’s #6.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • (edited Dec 19th 2016)

So what I might propose is that someone start an article partition lattice which mentions some of these things, including the Ellerman paper if that seems warranted. I could maybe start that in a few days or over Christmas break if no one else does.

I may be able to provide some nice SVG images for that. See: Sandbox#838.

However when I tried to use SVG <use ...> it turned up some Instiki bugs that Jacques Distler has since fixed but the fix hasn’t yet been propagated into the nLab. (Using use makes including SVG pictures in math equations a good bit less painful). I’m currently slowly working on a new version of the software to generate the SVG which I don’t know when will be functioning, If pictures are really needed I might be able to make the old version produce them.