Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2017

I added linear logic and type theory (homotopy type theory was already there) to true, which I renamed to truth to make it a noun (although something like true proposition, which I made a redirect, could also work). I then edited false (now falsehood) to include everything in truth.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I don’t think a two-valued topos has to be Boolean, even classically. The page two-valued topos doesn’t think so.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Not in ordinary English, but in mathematics, ’true’ can be a noun, more precisely a name: we often pronounce the truth values \top and \bot as ’true’ and ’false’ – and that was the usage the old title refers to.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Feb 2nd 2017)

Now the history page says that on Feb 2, Toby Bartels revised the truth.

More seriously, I agree with Todd about the intended way to read the page title “true”. But then I think the choice of title of a page should be viewed more as an internal book-keeping tool used to produce a URL. What really matters for the content of a page is that the Idea-section of any entry makes crystal clear what it is about, and under which set of different names and perspectives this is known.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2017
    • (edited Feb 3rd 2017)

@Mike #2: Of course, fixed.

@Todd #3: Yes, I'm sure that that's how the page names came to be what they were (and presumably it was me who originally named false, copying true that was presumably named by John Baez), but it just doesn't seem right to me now when written out as English words. It's like pronouncing ‘\vee’ as ‘or’, which I might do even when appearing a phrase like ‘In classical logic, \vee is commutative.’, where it is a noun, but you can't write ‘In classical logic, or is commutative.’ (although you could get away with ‘In classical logic, OR is commutative.’.) And appropriately, or is a redirect to disjunction.

@Urs #4: Actually, it says that I revised truth, which sounds even more impressive. (I did create a redirect from the truth, however.)

• CommentRowNumber6.

I do pronounce “In classical logic, \vee is commutative” as “In classical logic, ’or’ is commutative”. (In what kind of logic isn’t \vee commutative? Even the most straightforward kind of “ordered logic” that I know of has a non-commutative linear \otimes but still a commutative \vee.)

• CommentRowNumber7.

One thing I don’t like about the title “truth” is that it sounds like it should be for a different topic, for example in philosophy of mathematics, or something metamathematical like Tarski’s undefinability of truth result, etc.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2017

@Mike #6:

I do pronounce “In classical logic, \vee is commutative” as “In classical logic, ’or’ is commutative”.

Yes, but would you write it that way? Maybe with the quotation marks or with some other typographical decoration, but not straight.

(Noncommutative linear logic has commutative \oplus but noncommutative \parr. I don't know if anybody writes \parr as \vee, but relevant logics reportedly write \oplus as \vee, so who knows what other variations exist? As far as the relation to classical logic, they both have equal claim to that symbol.)

@Todd #7: Yeah, that bothers me too. But I don't know what we'd write about those topics either.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2017

Toby: as you know, I prefer the old title “true” for the present article. But as for what I’d (hypothetically) write about “truth”, I might say something like: it’s mathematicized by the notion of satisfaction of a proposition in a model, thus it has to do with the relation between syntax and semantics, etc. The Tarskian result on undefinability of truth could be made to fit within such an article. There could be a little about the philosophy and history as well; again if it were me writing, I can imagine cribbing from the SEP.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2017

Not so unreasonable to model a noncommutative ’or’ if you consider how we use it to spell out consequences, e.g., “Do this, or (else) that will happen”. That’s why it appears in relevant logic.

• CommentRowNumber11.

In #6 I meant to write \invamp, not \otimes. I would argue that \oplus deserves the symbol \vee more than \invamp does, because it behaves more like the “or” of classical logic. But sure, I suppose someone might do things differently.

• CommentRowNumber12.

I've moved the page to true proposition, keeping redirects from truth and similar terms until somebody writes the article outlined by Todd #9.