Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010

am writing stuff about "covariant field theory" into multisymplectic geometry, following this very useful reference.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011
    • (edited Jun 26th 2011)

at multisymplectic geometry and covariant phase space I have added pointers to the the recent article by Frédéric Hélein here that around its equations (21)-(25) has a discussion of how the ordinary canonical symplectic structure on covariant phase space is induced by what should be the right version of transgression of the canonical multisymplectic form.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2013
    • (edited Sep 17th 2013)

I went through the first two subsections (up to and excluding the examples) of the section Extended phase spaces in covariant field theory and tried to polish, prettify, and clarify the discussion a bit more. I didn’t change any actual content, but I think it is better readable now.

(The rest of the entry can do woth cleanup, too, maybe I find time for more…)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2013
    • (edited Sep 18th 2013)

started a new section

which states (and shows) that the canonical multisymplectic form is equal to the “covariant symplectic potential current density” that comes out of the covariant phase space formalism – according to this remark there – for a free field theory Lagrangian (and hence for any standard Lagrangian with standard kinetic and potential term).

(If anyone can give me a pointer to the literature of this precise statement, I’ll add it. Right now I have trouble finding such…, basic as the statement is.)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2013

concerning the pointer: thanks to Igor Khavkine for reminding me (once again): it’s in math-ph/0408008 around p. 25 (somewhat hidden maybe, but it’s there).

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2013

added a section on the field equations

with emphasis on the way that Forger-Romero neatly relate the multisymplectic de Donder-Weyl field equations to the Euler-Lagrange equations.

Special thanks to Igor Khavkine for discussion of this point, and for persistent pointers to the literature.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2022
    • Chris Rogers, L L_\infty-algebras from multisymplectic geometry, Lett. Math. Phys., 100(1):29–50 (2012); 2-plectic geometry, Courant algebroids, and categorified prequantization, J. Symplectic Geom. 11(1):53–91 (2013)

• Antonio Michele Miti, Marco Zambon, Observables on multisymplectic manifolds and higher Courant algebroids, arXiv:2209.05836

diff, v52, current