Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony Bordg
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2018
    Dear all,

why not adding a to-do list at the end of each entry in the nLab (or at least in some future entries), so that people can know how to be useful for the nLab community ? It might be that there is already more or less something like this and I did not notice since I'm not familiar enough with the nLab.
    Moreover, it seems that the nForum is mainly about reporting changes, hence it does not serve the purpose mentioned above.

ps; I understand that the nLab is not a textbook nor an encyclopedia but a lab book, still a to-do list feature might allow to polish some entries or at least the entries that deserve the most to be polished.

Best regards
    Anthony
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2018
    • (edited Jan 23rd 2018)

Dear Anthony,

probably this is less practical than it might seem on first sight. Entries here grow, if they grow, organically and erratically, driven by the personal whims of whoever happens to feel an urge to invest into them. Essentially every entry is open-ended and eternally unfinished.They all deserve to be further polished and all deserve to be expanded in a multitude of directions.

From time to time somebody comes here and voices a request, such as “I’d be really interested in seeing xyz spelled out further” and sometimes these requests even find a reaction. But if we were to make formal assignments on what needs to be done, it would probably begin to feel like a chore.

The nnLab is driven by an intrinsic and mostly mysterious desire of the few contributors it has to record knowledge, unpaid both by monetary or social benefits. It’s like a reclusion of esoteric monks who go on copying and commenting Aristotle, remote from human issues, just because a mysterious urge tells them to make this the business of their short time on Earth. Elsewhere in the noisy cities the trade companies hand out to-do lists to their employees, for the greater good of the revenue, but inside the monestary only God hands out to-do lists, by planting curiosity and a faint idea of eternal truth into the hearts of the monks, making them get up each morning with another idea of what they should explore this day of their finite lifes.

If you open a random entry titled by a keyword of your expertise, a variety of its deficiencies should jump out at you right away. If you go and make one or two of these your responsibility every now and then, the gratitude of this community will be with you.

If you are really unsure about what you could do, then probably it would be helpful to ask more concrete questions. Point us to a particular entry that you are interested in and let us know where you are unsure about how to improve it.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    Dear Urs,

I like the analogy with monks!

Thank you for your comment.
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I actually think Anthony has the germ of a good idea. No one should feel obligated to do anything like this, since no one is ever obligated to do anything regarding the nLab, but I think it might be helpful to have a “To Do” section as one of the standard page-sections that a page author could choose to include alongside “Idea”, “Definition”, “References”, etc. There are certainly times when I want to record something like “I wanted to write more about X, but I ran out of time” — mainly for my own future reference when returning to the page, but in keeping with the “group lab book” spirit someone else could then come along and do it for me. I do already sometimes add such notes in random places on the page, or in query boxes, but there could be a benefit to standardizing their location.

It could even be helpful for the casual reader to be told at least some keywords relating to things that aren’t mentioned on a page but ideally “ought” to be. Certain nLab pages present a very unbalanced view of their subject, just because whoever wrote them happened to be scratching a certain itch and didn’t feel like writing about other aspects of the subject — which is okay, but briefly mentioning the “missing parts” in a “To Do” section would be an easy and quick way that anyone could partially improve the situation without spending a lot of time.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2018
    • (edited Jan 24th 2018)

I think Mike’s point is a good one. There are several groups of pages that I started and, now, when looking for something else I find them and think ’I should add ….’ or ’that needs some more work’ but then I go and forget the point. However if I just added a ’To Do’ section near the end of the page I could search on To do when I have a (rare) day without a long To do list of its own!!!! and perhaps I would add the needed sections.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 24th 2018)

Just to avoid misunderstanding: I will certainly not object if anyone adds such lists to entries, if you think it’s useful.

What I expressed in #2 is just the feeling that this isn’t going to be too useful, since anyone who has something to add/to improve with some entry, will realize this right away from a look at the entry.

Of course a different aspect is that readers should be warned if (as long as) an entry omits important aspects of its topic. But for this purpose I imagine that in most cases a mentioning right away in the Idea-section would be preferable.

Anyway, I suspect Anthony was asking mainly because he was wondering where he could help right now. If that is the case, I’d re-iterate that Anthony should give us a few more coordinates about which entries he is interested in editing, and where he needs advice on what to do.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    "What I expressed in #2 is just the feeling that this isn’t going to be too useful, since anyone who has something to add/to improve with some entry, will realize this right away from a look at the entry."

I'm not so sure about this.

"Anyway, I suspect Anthony was asking mainly because he was wondering where he could help right now. If that is the case, I’d re-iterate that Anthony should give us a few more coordinates about which entries he is interested in editing, and where he needs advice on what to do."

I was certainly thinking about myself but not only. I know some other projects where a to-do list seems a nice feature to involve more people in a fruitful way.
    • CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I agree that there may be people who would be able to improve an entry but might not realize it, or might not feel as comfortable doing it, without a To Do section. Speaking for myself, when I edit or create pages in the future I may add a To Do section if something occurs to me that could be put there. However, it’s true that such a change in future behavior won’t help someone looking for a way to contribute right now.