Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2018
    • (edited Jan 22nd 2018)

This is probably a request for Todd!

Over on colimits for categories of algebras there’s a corollary I really need right now, about Eilerberg-Moore categories being cocomplete, and the remark:

The hypotheses of the preceding corollary hold when CC is a complete, cocomplete, cartesian closed category and CC is the monad corresponding to a finitary algebraic theory.

That sounds like exactly what I want, but when I click on finitary algebraic theory I get taken to a page that doesn’t have the definition of “finitary algebraic theory”. I think I know what this means, so I could guess and stick it in, but I think I should let the expert do it.

Oh, whoops! - as usual, I actually need a multi-sorted generalization. But still it would be nice to have this clarified.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2018
    • (edited Jan 23rd 2018)

Oh, goodie - the result I need is exactly Prop. 2.1 on Todd’s page multisorted Lawvere theories! Yet again you saved me, Todd!

(But still it’d be good to define “finitary algebraic theory”. I find this slightly nerve-racking because my usual “algebraic theories” are, I believe, just your finitary ones.)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Glad you figured it out on your own, John. :-) It seems like “finitary algebraic theory” ought to redirect to Lawvere theory. Let me look into it. The bulk of algebraic theory is really mostly about the various infinitary versions.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    • (edited Jan 23rd 2018)

Another thing I find mildly nerve-racking is “finitary algebraic theory” versus “Lawvere theory” and “multi-sorted Lawvere theory”. We’ll never get everyone in the universe to agree on how these terms are used, but a surprisingly large number of grad students take the nLab as gospel, so if the nLab decides on some clear and consistent usages, most mathematicians (at least on Earth) are likely to fall in line over time.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Redirecting finitary algebraic theory to Lawvere theory seems like a good start. What’s the remaining confusion? Is it whether a “finitary algebraic theory” is necessarily single-sorted? Or whether it should refer to the syntactic presentation instead of the semantic incarnation?

• CommentRowNumber6.

Or whether an “algebraic theory” should be finitary by default? I expect that’s the traditional usage among non-category-theoretic universal-algebraists. On the other hand I believe there’s a certain tradition that refers to any category with a monadic forgetful functor as “algebraic”. Then again, an “essentially algebraic theory” seems fairly unambiguously finitary, so if an “algebraic theory” is not necessarily finitary then we wouldn’t have algebraic \Rightarrow essentially algebraic, which is arguably a red herring.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Good questions, all. I think getting some terminological clarity here is a task that I can ( at least help) undertake, starting this evening my time.

There’s another point of view that would take an algebraic theory (putting aside finitary or not) to mean a certain presentation in terms of operations and axioms. (What we call a Lawvere theory or a clone is kind of a maximally saturated such presentation which takes on all definable operations at once.) Category theorists and we nLab denizens often de-emphasize particular presentations, but it’s certainly alive and well in model-theoretic contexts and we should be sensitive to that also.

• CommentRowNumber8.

Thanks Todd! Yes, that’s what I meant to refer to by a “syntactic presentation”. I’m personally very sympathetic to that view.