Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2018

I corrected the date of publication from 1965 to 1964.

diff, v48, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorThomas Holder
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2021

Added a reference to

• ∅ystein Linnebo, Richard Pettigrew, Category theory as an autonomous foundation , Phil. Math. 19 (2011) 227–254.

diff, v51, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2021

That sounds interesting, but it’s paywalled. Can anyone send me a copy?

• CommentRowNumber4.

Just sent it to you.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

There are also preprint versions around, I’ll link to one

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2021

Corrected the first code point of Øystein Linnebo’s name from 0x2205 EMPTY SET to 0xD8 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH STROKE. (-:

diff, v52, current

• CommentRowNumber7.

Thanks! I think that’s actually a really good paper. I’m glad to see philosophers finally understanding the points being made about ETCS by category theorists, and I finally feel like I have some feeling for why some philosophers find it less convincing of a foundation than ZFC.

• CommentRowNumber8.

So how would HoTT fare according to their three criteria: logical autonomy, conceptual autonomy, and justificatory autonomy? I guess for them it would hinge on “whether the objects for a foundation of mathematics can or indeed should be specified” only up to equivalence.

Ladyman and Presnell take on the autonomy of HoTT here claiming that:

the presentation of HoTT given in the HoTT Book is not autonomous since it explicitly depends upon other fields of mathematics, in particular homotopy theory.

They then argue that a reformulation avoids this debt. I think they were misled by talk of paths.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Added link to preprint version (pdf) of Linnebo and Pettigrew’s paper.

diff, v54, current