Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAli Caglayan
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2018
    • (edited Jul 28th 2018)
    So the representation theory of quivers is a bunch of useful tools for understanding certain algebras and categories of modules over them. Not to mention in Algebraic Geometry where they can be used to study the derived categories of certain varieties. (Essentially allowing for a concise presentation of information (and more?)).

Now I have had the idea of "higher" quivers rattling around in my head for the past year or two, but I have never really given it much serious thought. However I am now reading about globular sets and these are exactly the "higher" quivers I was thinking about. Just like normal quivers they aren't quite categories, (in this case the higher ones are strict). But there is a faithful embedding from Quiv into Cat, and I assume the same thing for Glob into (oo,1)Cat (This isn't full). These are both adjoint to the obvious forgetful functors.

Now in the quiver case we can think about representations in two equivalent ways: as functors from the free category generated by the quiver to a categry of k-modules, or we can take the free k-module genereated by the set of morphisms of the free category of the quiver and define an algebra with product composition and zero when it doesn't compose, representations are modules over this "path algebra". This is the idea of quiver representations being path algebra modules.

Now generalising to globular sets. The free category of a globular set should just be the strict oo-category it produces. Representations are therefore oo-functors from the free oo-category to some Aoo-module category (not sure how to define this). We can also try to produce some sort of higher path algebra similarly to how it was done in the quiver case. And hopefully these two notions coincide to give a unified higher representation of globular sets.

I have no idea what the category of these things might look like, but I hope for example it is a stable category because then we can define a "derived category" via stable Dold-Kan. Which would have some sort of cohomology of globular sets. (This could also be completely vacous).

These are just some eveloped ideas I have had floating around, hopefully someone here can formalise or point to a developed reference.