Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010

At present in this entry, the arrows to be inverted are called 'weak equivalences'. In proper homotopy theory, there is a calculus of fractions where the arrows to be inverted are cofinal inclusions. There is thus a slight terminological clash, as the cofinal inclusions are in no way 'weak equivalences'. It is also the case that in say Gabriel's localisation theory the morphisms to be inverted are not really weak equivalences in any non-contrived way. Suggestions as to how to change things a smidgin to get around this.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010

You could import terminology and call them quasi-isomorphisms, or something similar, like pseudoisomorphisms.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011

A month ago I noticed that the third condition in the definition of calculus of fractions was wrong (the source and target of a morphism made no sense for what it was being composed with), so I made the smallest change that made it at least meaningful. Today I finally got around to looking up the actual definition, and I think that the whole thing was reversed from how it should be to match the second condition, so I fixed it. Could anyone more familiar with the notion verify that it is now correct, or that it is now wrong?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011

It’s now correct. Thanks for picking that up.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2011

Thanks!

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013

The article says that the left/right convention is the opposite of the one used by Gabriel and Zisman, but as far as I can tell the convention is actually the same. Rather, it is that GZ focuses on calculi of left fractions, because the class of anodyne extensions in the Hurewicz-style homotopy category of sSetsSet admits a calculus of left fractions.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorKarol Szumiło

You are right. Left fractions are cospans an right fractions are spans, so the conventions indeed agree. I have removed the misleading remark. I have also corrected an example that said that in the quotient of a category of fibrant objects by the homotopy relation acyclic fibrations satisfy the left calculus of fractions. It is actually the right calculus of fractions. Moreover, I have changed “acyclic fibrations” to “weak equivalences” since I believe that this is a more natural way of thinking about this example, especially that in the quotient the distinction between fibrations and non-fibrations disappears.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Oct 1st 2013)

Left fractions are cospans an right fractions are spans, so the conventions indeed agree.

Depending what you call left: assuming either the Leibniz or counterLeibniz convention for the composition in a category (to match with left and right fractions for monoids and rings). In ring theory s 1ts^{-1}t is a left fraction (no hesitation in all literature). If you assume that the composition is the operation (say, for an additive category with one object) then (in Leibniz convention, which is more standard nowdays) s 1ts^{-1} \circ t is corresponding to the cospan (t,s)(t,s), and the right fraction ts 1t\circ s^{-1} corresponds to the span (s,t)(s,t). Of course, among those who use concatenation notation for composition (or ; symbol, like in the category theory for computer science), the counterLeibniz notation is common.

The mnemo rule for what is right Ore and right cancelability is that one has universal and existential quantifiers. Those variables which come with existential quantifiers are on the right (in Leibniz order, or in ring context), for both “right” conditions. Say in ring context, to avoid talking composability (domains and codomains), a multiplicative set SRS\subset R is right Ore if rRsSrRsS,sr=rs\forall r\in R\forall s\in S\exists r'\in R\exists s'\in S, s r'=r s' and sSnR\forall s\in S\forall n\in R sn=0sS,ns=0s n = 0\implies \exists s'\in S, n s' = 0.